Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Why high ranking at google, low ranking at yahoo!


    I have a travel website - tour-beijing.com : good ranking on google, but low ranking on yahoo. Why? Can anybody help me?
    Thanks!
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    296
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by xhtc
    I have a travel website - tour-beijing.com : good ranking on google, but low ranking on yahoo. Why? Can anybody help me?
    Thanks!
    The SE have their own strategy to rank websites. You have worked well for the G but might not for the Y!
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    What's the difference between google and yahoo in strategy? Thanks!


    Originally Posted by ICHORS
    The SE have their own strategy to rank websites. You have worked well for the G but might not for the Y!
  6. #4
  7. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    805
    Rep Power
    25
    Originally Posted by xhtc
    Yahoo is more about onpage than google.

    If you are doing good in google, it means your offpage optimisation is good... Now check out you onpage for yahoo.

    Comments on this post

    • pro_seo agrees : good advice
  8. #5
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    Just a couple of quick observations:

    You don't have sitemaps. You have neither a sitemap.xml nor a urllist.txt. Create them and manage them with siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com and webmaster tools at Google. That won't make you number one, but it is a minimal step to take.

    You also have a canonical issue with your domain. You need either a www version or a non www version for your site. Check out McCarley's blog. http://www.14thc.com/seeing-double.html

    Not related to Yahoo, but some considerations about your site: Have you considered creating a YouTube presentation on Beijing? Also, how about creating a list of the 10 Best places to visit in Beijing and allowing your visitors to post them to social networking platforms.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    tybi, cound you tell me more about the offpage and onpage


    Originally Posted by tybi
    Yahoo is more about onpage than google.

    If you are doing good in google, it means your offpage optimisation is good... Now check out you onpage for yahoo.
    What does onpage optimization and offpage optimization mean?. Maybe I have already used both of them, but I 'm not quite sure of the definition of the two words. Thanks!!!
  12. #7
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    Most simply put:

    Onpage Optimization: Content
    Offpage Optimization: Building links to your site
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Canonical issue with my domain : www.tour-beijing.com VS tour-beijing.com


    Originally Posted by evmikna
    Just a couple of quick observations:

    You don't have sitemaps. You have neither a sitemap.xml nor a urllist.txt. Create them and manage them with siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com and webmaster tools at Google. That won't make you number one, but it is a minimal step to take.

    You also have a canonical issue with your domain. You need either a www version or a non www version for your site. Check out McCarley's blog. (URL address blocked: See forum rules)

    Not related to Yahoo, but some considerations about your site: Have you considered creating a YouTube presentation on Beijing? Also, how about creating a list of the 10 Best places to visit in Beijing and allowing your visitors to post them to social networking platforms.
    evmikna, thanks a lot. It's very helpful! one more question. Is there any risk to keep only one version from www version and a non www version of my website?. it means I just keep one site: www. Does the change will harm the ranking of my website since most of the pages directing to none non www version of my website. Thanks!
  16. #9
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    Which pages are ranking the highest? WWW version or non-WWW version? Choose to the appropriate version based on your highest ranking pages.

    After the .htaccess, then go to Google Webmaster tools and tell them your preferred domain version. This may be redundant (and unnecessary), but I do it since it is quick and easy. I doubt it helps much.
  18. #10
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    TYBI gave great advice. Check out who is beating you in Yahoo (the top ones) and see what they are doing with their content and titles. Then apply what you have learned from them and do it better!
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by evmikna
    TYBI gave great advice. Check out who is beating you in Yahoo (the top ones) and see what they are doing with their content and titles. Then apply what you have learned from them and do it better!
    TYBI, evmikna,

    million thanks for both of you. It's first time for me to use the forum. peope are kind and helpful. Thanks a lot from Beijing China !
  22. #12
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    Thanks and Welcome to SEOChat!!
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile


    Originally Posted by evmikna
    Thanks and Welcome to SEOChat!!

    evmikna,

    I'm back again! I'm now using the google webmaster to creat a sitemap for google. Can you tell me the simpliest way to do it? a sitemap.xml nor a urllist.txt? how to do it? Thanks in advance!
  26. #14
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    39
    Create both. Use the free tool at www.xml-sitemaps.com.

    Submit your sitemaps to Google and Yahoo. Yahoo calls them "feeds"
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beijing,China
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile


    Originally Posted by evmikna
    Create both. Use the free tool at www.xml-sitemaps.com.
    Submit your sitemaps to Google and Yahoo. Yahoo calls them "feeds"
    evmikna, I have got the sitemap file through the free tool. One more question, do I paste the sitemap file on the main domain of my site: www.sample.com or I should put it on the page of www.sample/sitemap? Which is better? Sorry for my silly question. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. My site is ranking in google but not in yahoo
    By woody in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct 20th, 2006, 04:29 AM
  2. Googleguy speaks! Some good clarifications
    By thewormman in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jun 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM
  3. Article: new Google feature called Google Suggest
    By dirtdog1960 in forum SEO Chat Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 12th, 2004, 01:09 AM
  4. Google Vs Yahoo
    By chechogr in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 11th, 2004, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Feb 9th, 2004, 09:43 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo