1. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What Is Yahoo Search ....

I have been trying to analize the serps at google compared to yahoo and find some kind of patterns ....

unfortuniately ... i am at a LOSS to see any which appear to give me any insignt into what they are doing ....

why dont we all look over the serps we know well and try to see some BROAD patterns of DIFFERENCES ... it is much easier to see patterns in things you know well .... maybe then that will give us some clues what they are doing ..??

Here is the few patterns i have seen ... i am only studying the top 40 serps

1) i do NOT see any DMOZ or google directory listings in the serps at yahoo
    2) i think i see MORE top serps at yahoo with interior page urls (not the index page) (it seems google tends to show the index page more often)
    3) i think i see more hyphenated file names at yahoo ...
    4) it seems the BIG very popular sites do not show as high at yahoo as at google .... i'll see a homepage kind of site on top of a really popular PR 9 kind of site ... on google that PR 9 site is #1, at yahoo it has a backpage in the #8 spot ...
    5) yahoo shows multiple listings for the same site or subdomains ... google seems to eleminate those ...
    6) here is one which may be interesting ....... i seem to see LESS SITES ranked high in the serps at yahoo that have GOOGLE AD WORDS ADS ..... maybe this is something of use ..... does anyone running ad words ads notice a ranking penalty at yahoo??

7) somehow yahhoo seems to identify mirrow sites ... and they show the least popular site ... not the most popular one ..... i saw mirrow sites our competitors have which i never even knew of before ....

none of this really tells me what yahoo is doing so different to come up with such dramatically different serps ...

surely with all of the seo experts here, someone has some detail ideas to explain the differences between google and yahoo?? that comparison tool pk has a link to highlights how little in common the serps have in some cases .,
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

well, i haven't analyzed it in the same way, but i did compare my google serps with my yahoo serps tonight. here's my findings for my top 19 keyword phrases. The first number is my SERPS ranking in Google and the second number is the ranking in Yahoo. (x means not in top 200 or so). Darn close to the same in top ten, with more spread the further down I go. Don't yet know what it means, but it's some numbers to look at.

kw phrase 1 1
    kw phrase 2 3
    kw phrase 2 2
    kw phrase 2 2
    kw phrase 3 7
    kw phrase 3 1 and 2
    kw phrase 3 1
    kw phrase 7 17
    kw phrase 8 2
    kw phrase 13 26
    kw phrase 14 26
    kw phrase 14 3
    kw phrase 18 43
    kw phrase 21 6
    kw phrase 23 x
    kw phrase 29 x
    kw phrase 68 x
    kw phrase 131 40
    kw phrase 150 x
  5. Savior of the Whales

4 same, 5 up, 10 down .... can you see any kind of patterns or similarities in the ones moving up and the ones moving down ..?? either from your site standpoint or the standpopint of the kind of sites either beating you out or getting beat out??

that is a generally higher degree of similarity than i have seen looking at anything of ours .... i look at something like that and try to find some patern of the kind of sites edging you out or being displaced .... the problem is i am not finding any patterns ... they must be there and i am just not seeing them ...
  7. Contributing User

those are good questions - and it will take me some time to analyze the situation before i can answer them. once i have some ideas, i'll post them.
  9. Contributing User

A couple of things that seem to be important:

1. For the phrases that are doing better in Yahoo than in Google (for me), the exact keyword phrase in the title seems to be holding more weight in Yahoo than in Google.

1. For the phrases that are doing better in Google than in Yahoo (for me), these phrases are actually synonyms or stemmed versions of the keyword phrase I targeted for. Google is ranking these well, whereas Yahoo is not (or not as well).
  11. Savior of the Whales

thanks dazzlin ... i'll see if i can relate any of my results to those observations ...

google seemed to steer away from rewareding some exact phrases in the titles ... so we did put some synonyms in there ... and went for ancor text driven results ... maybe that is why yahoo dont like them much ....

also ... maybe yahoo is not weighing the ancor text from backlinks as highly ... or maybe just not as highly unless you have the exact phrase in the title ??
    i am shy about going back to some of those exact phrases with google .... i'd hate to get bumped back there ....

i think optimizing for both google and yahoo is going to be a bit tricky .... also, did you see my post about the serps being different based on your cookie?? i am not sure where that will lead .... maybe based on what you been clicking on they show you serps more like those??
  13. Contributing User

did you see my post about the serps being different based on your cookie??
    i either missed this or have forgotten it. are you talking about google or yahoo? and are you referring to personalization perhaps? i'll see if i can locate the thread where you mentioned it.

i am shy about going back to some of those exact phrases with google .... i'd hate to get bumped back there ....
    i agree. i won't mess with anything that might screw up my google rankings.

EDIT: ok, found the post you refer to about cookies and yahoo. i'll poke about with that and see what i come up with if anything.
  15. Savior of the Whales

i discovered that while reviewing some serps with a buddy .... on thephone, he had VERY different serps than me ... ( both on the same cable system in the same city) and trying to figure out why ... we discovered he had his cookies ON ... ( i always leave my cookies off ) ... so when he turned his coookies off ... and cleare his cache ... then he saw the same serps i was seeing ....

since i have never read of any search engine adjusting the serps based on your cookie ... i found this quite interesting ...
  17. Contributing User

hmmm...well, maybe its a test they were running - i cannot duplicate that. i see the same serps either way.
  19. Savior of the Whales

it is hard to test on the same machine ... set one machine for "override auto cookie handling" .... and "prompt for cookie" ... so you can deny it ... set the other on medium .... then on the one taking cookies ... do a few related searches slightly off topic ..... and click on a few serps ... then do the test kw search and compare it to the one with no cookies ... i see differences each time ... and sometimes minor, other times more different, seems to depend on what i clicked on and also how many searches .... also .... my searches are NOT as different as my buddies were ... so he probably had a cookie with all kinds of HISTORY on it from doing different things at yahoo ... so maybe the more history it has the more it taylors the serps ...

you may need to leave a cookie on a box and do things there a week or so then test some more .... i will try that starting tomorrow ...
  21. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

i think i see MORE top serps at yahoo with interior page urls (not the index page) (it seems google tends to show the index page more often)
    I guess this has more to do with the keyword density (inktomi seems to prefer more keyword density). However, this is not the only big thing. From the analysis I did, I observed the following trend-

Yahoo first filters pages with most incoming link text for a particular seacrh term (homepage in most cases). Now, if a particular pages has got sufficient keyword density to appease algo's fondness for more keywords, then the page is listed in line with the amount of links and link text. Otherwise, the algo tries and locates a sub-page from the same domain (which may have not been optimized using internal or external link text) with good keyword density and lists it in at least top 20 positions.

Or mat be it's the other wat round- the algo first filters pages on the basis of keyword density, then checks them for the links and link text, and ranks them accordingly.

This pattern is very consitent with almost all the seaches I've tried so far. Does anybody see such a trend?
  23. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

maneesh....
    its kinda scary that you got a matchmaker type site called 'matrimonials'. isnt that rushing things a bit. i know theres a whole cultural thing going on there...maybe you could explain. is dating not part of the deal? :-)
  25. Give me Backlinks

Sccary? What scary?

The explaination is simple- there are as many 11000 hits for keywords like matrimonial and over 25000 if you take into account all other phrases like Hindu Matrimonial, Sikh Matrimonial, Christian Matrimonial .......

So you see, it's just money-making. We are selling what the people are most willing to buy. Dating sites don't fare well enough here in India. The more conservative moms and pops send their childrens' photographs to matrimonial sites to find 'suitable life partner'.

And that's not 'rushing things a bit'. Education is good enough to slow things down. It's just 'cultural thing going on', as you said.

Unmarried? Send me your photograph (real one) and I'll put your prifile up at my site

And one more thing- Wrong Forum! You should have posted this in General Chat forum
  27. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Maneesh
    And one more thing- Wrong Forum! You should have posted this in General Chat forum
    not really. its just a side note...not intended to be a new thread.

i dont think you could pull off a 'matrimony' site in the us. it would definitely be too 'scary' for people.
  29. Give me Backlinks

Originally Posted by relaxzoolander
    not really. its just a side note...not intended to be a new thread.
    Hey, that was just a joke, of course!

i dont think you could pull off a 'matrimony' site in the us. it would definitely be too 'scary' for people.
    lol yes, but I guess I can pull off a gay & lesbian matchmaker site in the US. I have no such plans though.