1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb What are geo meta tags?

I have heard about geo meta tags but I never used them. I want to know how these tags are generated and how these help in seo?
    Does Bing depend upon these?
  3. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

These tags look like this and serve the purpose of telling search engines where the site is based:

<meta name="geo.placename" content="United States" />
    <meta name="geo.position" content="x;x" />
    <meta name="geo.region" content="usa" />
    <meta name="ICBM" content="x,x" />

According to John Mu from Google (verbatem)

We generally ignore geo-meta tags like that because we've found that they're generally incorrect (copy & pasted from a template, etc).

( Is it that ICBM's metatags don't work because of Star Wars ???? Is this what the cold war was about ??? )

According to Matt Cutts ... (verbatem)

Historically, meta tags for language and country have been less reliable than inferring the language or country directly. For example, lots of webmaster also just copy/paste from a friend's template without checking the meta tag values. The unreliability of the meta tags is why Google tends not to use them or give them less weight.

( so maybe they carry a itty bitty bit of weight, doubtful tho, com'on Cutts, don't be wishy washy here..... could this be one of the over 200 metrics ??? hmmm.....)

Bing on the other hand does use these metatags....

So......

Google ignores them !
    Bing does use them !

People if you use them make sure they are right !!!!
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  5. No Profile Picture

geo meta tags

Geo Meta Tags are meta tags in html format used for Geographic identification for various media like Photographs, Websites, RSS feeds and videos.

They consists of lattitudes, longitudes, distance, region and various factors related to those region.
  7. No Profile Picture

Geo meta tags are used when you are targeting specific region for Search engine optimization. Geo meta tags shows specific location for targeting.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can one of you tech guys explain a bit more? What goes in position, region and icbm? I'm located in Denver Colorado. Do I need the long/lat of my address? Or the address itself in the tags?
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by nooby
    Can one of you tech guys explain a bit more? What goes in position, region and icbm? I'm located in Denver Colorado. Do I need the long/lat of my address? Or the address itself in the tags?
    you should be able to find all the information you need at http://geourl.org/add.html
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

What are geo meta tags?

Geo meta tags is the geographical for indication of websites which consists of latitude and longitude.. It also helps the user to find a various information..
  15. No Profile Picture

Most of you might haven’t heard this before, Geo Meta Tags are there since long time, they are used for Geographic identification for various media like Photographs, Websites, RSS feeds and videos. they consists of lattitudes, longitudes, distance, region and various factors related to those region.
  17. No Profile Picture

Cyril22 -- so I get the impression that this is not really to benefit local search. Perhaps its more important, for example, for someone interested in traveling to some particular location, so that the search engine is not just dependent on alt tags to identify the number of images about that. Am I getting this right or wrong ?
  19. No Profile Picture

Geotagging (also written as GeoTagging) is the process of adding geographical identification metadata to various media such as a geotagged photograph or video, websites, SMS messages.

Geotagging can help users find a wide variety of location-specific information. For instance, one can find images taken near a given location by entering latitude and longitude coordinates into a suitable image search engine.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DMN Webmaster
    These tags look like this and serve the purpose of telling search engines where the site is based:

<meta name="geo.placename" content="United States" />
    <meta name="geo.position" content="x;x" />
    <meta name="geo.region" content="usa" />
    <meta name="ICBM" content="x,x" />

According to John Mu from Google (verbatem)

We generally ignore geo-meta tags like that because we've found that they're generally incorrect (copy & pasted from a template, etc).

( Is it that ICBM's metatags don't work because of Star Wars ???? Is this what the cold war was about ??? )

According to Matt Cutts ... (verbatem)

Historically, meta tags for language and country have been less reliable than inferring the language or country directly. For example, lots of webmaster also just copy/paste from a friend's template without checking the meta tag values. The unreliability of the meta tags is why Google tends not to use them or give them less weight.

( so maybe they carry a itty bitty bit of weight, doubtful tho, com'on Cutts, don't be wishy washy here..... could this be one of the over 200 metrics ??? hmmm.....)

Bing on the other hand does use these metatags....

So......

Google ignores them !
    Bing does use them !

People if you use them make sure they are right !!!!
    100 agree with you
  23. No Profile Picture

yes i also want to know the better solution. for this geo meta tags.
  25. No Profile Picture

Geo meta tags are used for Geographic identification for various media like Photographs, Websites, RSS feeds and videos.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Geo Meta Tags are basically meta tags in html format which is used for Geographical identification. When an individual targets specific region for search engine optimization, Geo meta tags make that thing possible. It also helps a person in finding vast information.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Geo Meta Tags are basically meta tags in html format which is used for Geographical identification. When an individual targets specific region for search engine optimization, Geo meta tags make that thing possible. It also helps a person in finding vast information.