1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Video results on Bing

Hi

I've just been looking through Bing and one feature that looks good is the video results. They play back when you hover over them.

They don't seem to play the whole video though, but excerpts from it.

Does anyone know how Bing chooses thes excerpts? What with the change in Youtube thumbnails I just want to keep on top of it.

Cheers, Tony
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I actually thought that was a good idea but (as is often the case with MS) badly implemented.
    I would rather see several very short (1/2sec or so) clips from different places in the vid than one very long clip. That would give me a better idea of wither it was the kind of/particular vid I was looking for.

In general I like the page of results better visually than what Google provides. The larger thumnails are helpful and people searching video should not (in general) have connection speed problems with slightly larger images.
    I also like seeing more on one page.
    I do miss the descriptions pulled from Youtube etc. I would like to see some kind of 'more' button to drop them down for specific videos.

Honestly I don't search videos very often and when I do I typically do not use a SE though.

-- On Edit --
    I also should have mentioned that Bing (as usual) seems to have fewer videos indexed than Google.
    Last edited by realityhack; Jun 3rd, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From the brief play around I've had with it I quite like it.

The promo videos promised all sorts of features like flight price comparisons and so on and I haven't seen anything like that yet but fingers crossed.

Does anyone know/guess any algorithm changes from Live Search to Bing?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by realityhack
    I actually thought that was a good idea but (as is often the case with MS) badly implemented.
    I would rather see several very short (1/2sec or so) clips from different places in the vid than one very long clip. That would give me a better idea of wither it was the kind of/particular vid I was looking for.

In general I like the page of results better visually than what Google provides. The larger thumnails are helpful and people searching video should not (in general) have connection speed problems with slightly larger images.
    I also like seeing more on one page.
    I do miss the descriptions pulled from Youtube etc. I would like to see some kind of 'more' button to drop them down for specific videos.

Honestly I don't search videos very often and when I do I typically do not use a SE though.

-- On Edit --
    I also should have mentioned that Bing (as usual) seems to have fewer videos indexed than Google.
    The vids I've looked at do show several short clips through the video... there was a 30 second video that did show one chunk... maybe if it's a short vid it shows one chunk while longer vids show a few smaller bites?

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Could be. I didn't get anything but strait play. I will check it out some more. - Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

I haven't tried searching for videos in Bing. However, I tried searching information in Bing and so far it works pretty good. I'll try searching for videos as well. Thanks for the info!
  11. No Profile Picture

Me Likey

I have to admit - I love the vid setup at Bing. Much better than Yahoo and a world better than Google. I love not clicking on the vid and just putting your mouse over it - really rocks!
  13. No Profile Picture

Thumbs down Bing not so userfriendly

I agree, I miss the video description associated with the video.

There are a few things that I noticed:

1. The index is far less than Google Video or Clipta.com. Run a search on bing, clipta, and googe video for the word "metacafe". You will can see how few videos Bing has in comparison.

2. When searching for "metacafe", notice the video results that come up on Bing...but beware. I had no idea Bing allowed adult content in their results. That was a bit upsetting.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by alanm321
    I had no idea Bing allowed adult content in their results. That was a bit upsetting.
    IIRC Bing is working on fixing the adult content issue.

@jhdogtraining -
    Are you joking? The Bing SERPs I have seen are terrible. They will even allow multiple top 10s for the same domain.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The video search is one of my favorite features of Bing so far. It saves me soo much time being able to hover over the file and viewing short clips. That way i dont have to waste my time viewing the entire thing or clicking on the link.