Thread: Silly Question!

1. No Profile Picture
    YSB
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Silly Question!

Hi

I've got a site host by free web hosting for years and only the first page was indexd by yahoo. Recently, I moved my site to paid host with own domain and hope that yahoo will index all my pages (or at least few more pages that I think are important).

I try my very best to optimize my site with all the skills I learn from here and from other seo sites. But the result was very disappointed, neither the rest of pages got index nor the ranking on major keywords got improve (some of the keywords do index on the first or second page, but those are not the major one).

I've read some articles about the information architect. My question is:

All my pages are put under the root directory without separted by folders under different categories, is this something to do with information architect and will affect yahoo slurp to crawl my site?

I do want anyone here to visit my page and give me some advice, but it is written in chinese....

Anyway, my site is: http://www.perfectdancing.com

I really hope someone can help me sort this out

Thank you
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

YSB - Your host should not have been the problem with getting indexed. If a site is up for a long time and doesn't get in it's usually because the meta tags or robots.txt is blocking the spiders.

I see you've included: <meta name="robots" content="index, follow" /> which is obsolete. Those are the default actions for the bots so you don't need to include that.

What I can see is that your image on your home page is overlaying some of your text content. Yahoo may be thinking you have hidden text issues (giving you a penalty) or may not be able to get at those links because they are "covered".

It's tough to say and I can't read the language so I don't know how accurately *my* browser is representing your site.

Finally, your transition to the new host could have gone better. Yahoo still has you freespaces stuff in their index. Ideally you should have 301 redirected the old spots to the new. Oh well, too late now!

Really, Yahoo has a hard time transitioning moved files to their proper place and is probably got you for a duplicate content penalty. The best thing to do is build backlinks, fix the small design issues, and promote the site so much Yahoo can't help but notice the change (you may want to attempt contacting them to explain that you moved the site - that *may help).

For promotion ideas try http://www.14thc.com/get-indexed-fast.html Since it's an existing site I don't know how much those tips will help, but I'd definately try the trick with the feed and the sitemap stuff.

Good luck!
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  5. No Profile Picture
    YSB
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi! rmccarley

Thank you for your quick response.

Strange...I haven't put any text under the image, probably because of the different browser, will work on my css again and see whether it can be fixed.

I used to redirect all the pages by meta (I've checked with Yahoo, they said they accept 301 redirect by meta, since I was using free stuff b4, this is also the only way I can redirect the page) when I moved to new site until last week.

I will try to write them to explain my story and study more promotion ideas.

Thank you again for you valuable advise, that's very kind of you.

Cheers