1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Possible reasons for site being dropped from Yahoo Search

Our web site had a good presence in Yahoo Search via Inktomi but unfortunately we allowed our listing to expire. It seemed that our position in Yahoo Search slipped so we paid $299 to Express Submit our site to Yahoo in early September 2004. Soon after, our site was completely dropped from Yahoo Search. For several days/weeks our URL was no longer present at all if you typed siteyz.com but after mentioning this (could be coincidental) our URL was thereafter present, but did not, and still does not, show up in the top 1000 results for any keywords, including the title of our web site (which is three words long).

If anyone has any comments on this list of possible reasons that I have compiled, it would be immensely appreciated. I am familiar with the guidelines at:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/basics/basics-18.html

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/deletions/deletions-05.html

1. One potential problem might be the similar content of sites that our interlinked together. For example, let us say hypothetically that site 1 was a hockey site, site 2 was a baseball site, and site 3, the site in question, was a general sports site. Perhaps Yahoo saw too many similarities in the name, description, home page, interlinking etc. and considered it to be too much, and excluded our URL from the search results? It is becoming more and more common for "cloned" sites to come out with virtually the same content which should understandably not have multiple entries in search engines which try to screen search results to enhance the quality of results and the user experience. Our site(s) may overlap in some areas, and some pages may have similar pages, but as a percentage, the similar content pages are very low. The best example which would illustrate the extent of the overlapping scope of the sites would be having a hockey site listed on Yahoo then submitting a general sports site.

2. Excessive popups. We have a maximum of one popup per page, and according to the Alexa stats for our site/domain, 29% of sessions have popups, which sounds reasonable.

3. Site wide cross linking. We have about 5 web sites which are interlinked site wide. This seems natural enough though.

4. Affiliate programs. We have 9 links to affiliate programs out of 89 links on our home page. In all, 35 links point to external sites (including our interlinked sites, affiliate programs, partners, stat programs, etc.)

5. Presence of a Google AdSense 120x600 ad on our home page. Perhaps this is considered bad etiquette?

6. The fact that our site used to have a presence in the Yahoo Search Results by way of Inktomi (but has expired unintentionally). Could their database be picking up the presence of our old expired Inktomi link, thereby not adding our URL from the Yahoo directory in order to avoid a duplicate listing? Could we be penalized for letting the Inktomi listing expire?

If anyone has any similar experiences, or thoughts on which of the above issues is most likely responsible, they would be most welcome.

HP
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jan 27th, 2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Removed live links.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Update

UPDATE:

It is definitely not an issue arising from the expired Inktomi listing. Yahoo responded today to my URL status request saying that we in fact did have a "judgment against our URL" so it not a technical glitch. Upon further deliberation, it is most likely not the pops, as they are in line with most other sites. I think if the presence of the Google AdSense ad on our home page was the problem, a heck of a lot of sites would be dropped from Yahoo which isn't the case.

In my opinion, that leaves three potential issues:

1. the similar content between linked URL's
    2. site wide interlinking
    3. possibly too many affiliate links (percentage wise).

With regard to site wide interlinking, I don't understand why it is a no-no. It seems natural enough if you have 5 sites, to have a link on each page of each site to the other 4 sites, no? This is the one change I am reluctant to make.

It would be helpful if anyone could post the percentage of external links on their home page, and if they manage multiple sites, the extent to which they interlink them, so I can get an approximate idea on the threshold.

HP
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am guessing you have tripped a duplicate content filter.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

#1. Similar content can cause trouble.
    #2. Sitewide interlinking also known as Link Farm and it will get you banned in most SEs. Are those sites related? Are they all in the same IP range?

There are 2 big reasons to ban your site.

Originally Posted by Handsome Prince
    1. the similar content between linked URL's
    2. site wide interlinking
    3. possibly too many affiliate links (percentage wise).

With regard to site wide interlinking, I don't understand why it is a no-no. It seems natural enough if you have 5 sites, to have a link on each page of each site to the other 4 sites, no? This is the one change I am reluctant to make.