1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Parameters in Bing Webmaster tools..

Hi guys

Just looking at bing webmaster tools. I read this about the Parameters feature:

This feature allows you to specify query parameters for Bing’s crawler to ignore.
    For example, if you own http://www.southamptontaxiservices.com/ and use this page to specify the parameter "abc" be ignored, the URL http://www.southamptontaxiservices.com/home?abc=123 will be seen as http://www.southamptontaxiservices.com/home. This means that URLs containing the query string parameter "abc" will have that parameter removed prior to indexing. The benefits include: preventing duplicate content in the Bing index, avoiding having a page's index value split between multiple URL variations, and avoiding unnecessary site bandwidth usage by the search crawler.
    I wondered, considering i have a wordpress site, should i configure this somehow? I'm not quite sure of what it means but perhaps I can get bing to ignore any query string based urls or duplicate pages..?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by cowdery1
    Hi guys

Just looking at bing webmaster tools. I read this about the Parameters feature:

I wondered, considering i have a wordpress site, should i configure this somehow? I'm not quite sure of what it means but perhaps I can get bing to ignore any query string based urls or duplicate pages..?

Thanks
    This is the feature under URL Normalization, similar to that of Google's URL Canonicalization. If you think that by removing parameters in the URLs, you would be able to solve the duplicate page issue then you can use it. In Wordpress you can change the Parmalinks for the URLs. By default it has parameters passed and you can edit this by going to
    Settings -> Permalinks, in Custom Structure use this

%postname%
    or
    /%category%/%postname%

This will remove the parameters from your URLs in the wordpress blog