Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My site has been completely dropped by Yahoo! and others!

Hello here,
    I have a very popular music website (http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com) and I am very well indexed in all the major search engines (I am 6 as Google page rank) but since one week ago seems that it has been completely dropped by the Yahoo! index, and consequently from any Inktomi related SE like HotBot, AllTheWeb and also MSN.com (I am not sure if it uses Inktomi as indexbase).

Any idea? Anyone had my same experience?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may give me.

Sincerely,
    Fab.
    Last edited by fabrizio; Jul 23rd, 2004 at 04:46 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh! Thank you for the information! But actually I am "un-findable". If you try to perform a search with:

"virtual sheet music classical sheet music downloads"

you cannot find my site anywhere! And even with any other keyword! How this can be possible?

Thank you for your replies.

Fab.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BAD NEWS!

Now I am no longer in the index:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sit...b-web-t&dups=1

What's happening? Any idea?

Thank you in advance again.

Fab.
  9. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

In the last week I also saw a few pages of my site dropped from Yahoo! but some of them seem to be back in their index, not all though. I'll keep my eyes on this and I'll come back and post here if I observ anything interesting.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you seo_sensey for sharing your experience. Probably it is related to mine.

The strange thing is that my site is still listed in the "Sheet Music and Notation > Classical" directory as Most Popular site:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...nre/Classical/

Maybe I should contact Yahoo! Folks? I guess I would never receive a reply...

Thank you for your kindness and discussion.

Fab.
  13. Self-managed!

Did you pay for the inclusion into Yahoo! directory ?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes,
    I remember I paid for that inclusion in the past (in 2000 I think).

Does that is relevant?

Please, let me know.

Sincerely,
    Fab.
  17. Self-managed!

Well ... it could be, since they claim that your site gets crawled every 24 hours if you pay for the inclusion.
    Anyway, as far as I know that fee is paid anually, so if you didn't pay it evey year ... this could be an issue, but what I'm saying now is pure speculation, so don't get is as best.
  19. Contributing User

I think you have to renew every year don't you?
    I paid the $299 yesterday and im sure its renewable.
    I'm sorry if this is stating the obvious.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The $299 fee is just for the directory. This is separate from the actual search results.

You should not be affected by pulling out of the paid inclusion model according to Yahoo! Whether this is true or not I do not know because I haven't used Site Match.

fabrizio - how long has your site been up? I take it at least a couple of months.

I am only saying this because I put up a site just over a week ago and was crawled and indexed within two days by Google. The site also looked like it had been crawled by Yahoo! as it showed up in their results in the same timeframe. However, I have looked today and it is not there! Maybe they are using Google results at certain times?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you guys for your kind replies.

I paid the fee in the 2000 but I never renewed it, and actually I am still in the directory among the "Most Popualr" sites:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Music/Sheet_Music_and_Notation/By_Genre/Classical/

I don't know why I didn't have to renew my presence in the directory.

To sem4u: my site was putted on-line in 1999 and until one week ago it has been always very well ranked on all the SEs. Yahoo! and all the related Inktomi SEs (including MSN) dropped my site without any reason. I am still very well ranked on Google with a Page Rank of 6. My site, I repeat here, is Virtual Sheet Music:

http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com

Today I contacted Yahoo! folks asking for information about this issue. As soon I will have more information, I will let you know.

Thank you again for your thoughts and... any new idea is always very welcome!

All the best,
    Fabrizio.
  25. Contributing User

Starting this week the best way to tell if you are in Yahoo or penalized is by using the full URL of your site in the search box or site:your domain.com.

Another words:

site:virtualsheetmusic.com
    or
    http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com

Since Yahoo changes it methodologies so much I wouldn't jump to conclusions before a month was up. I've looked at a lot of penalized sites (I mean a lot) and you do have some of the characteristics of some of them. Apparently the filters queue a site as suspect if there are lot of links compared to content, duplicate content on pages, or similar pages. I saw one company get 5,000 of their third party customer ordering pages kicked out because of the similarity of the order pages. Most order pages do tend to have similarities. This particular company raised hell with Yahoo and all pages were returned to the index. For the regular Joe Shmoe I don’t if this would be the case.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any e-commerce website has ordering pages as well products pages very similar (such as catalog pages have a lot of links inside!)... why I should be penalized for that? How many e-commerce sites have such characteristics? To have similar pages doesn't mean that my sold products have not value... take Amazon as example, then you understand what I mean.

I think it wouldn't have sense...

Am I correct?

Thank you.

Fab.
  29. Contributing User

Without question you are right Fabrizio. The point is though I don’t penalize sites. Yahoo does. I only look for the common characteristics to avoid in making future web sites. It’s become painfully obvious to me they can ruin a business based upon a few pages of similar or duplicate content. Their new site guidelines http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/deletions/deletions-05.html can nail you for about anything. There are many large companies who were penalized but had their penalties lifted. Smaller businesses seem to encounter difficulties when they appeal to Yahoo for manual reviews.

As I said I wouldn’t jump to conclusions with Yahoo until your site had disappeared at least a full month in Yahoo. With them that’s a minimal figure. After that you need to look at the hundreds of posts, in various forums, about Yahoo site penalties made since late February.

Your logic is excellent but I’ve seen hundreds of posts debating the same thing and Yahoo ignores it.
    Last edited by outland88; Jul 27th, 2004 at 02:32 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: