1. Bork, Bork, Bork!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

More traffic from Yahoo or Google?

Hi All,

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but I am curious to know what others' opinions are on the the topic...

Who's SERPs produce more traffic, Yahoo! or Google?

I noticed the other day that one of my sites jumped into the Yahoo! top 10 for almost all of my keywords... according to the Overture tool, this should account for about 6000 - 8000 monthly searches... I am getting a couple visits a day from Yahoo! maybe about 3 or 4.

Not long ago, one of my other sites ranked in top 10 on Google. The keyword was terrible and Overture predicts only 300 searched a month (this is a personal site, so I don't care about the stats) but produced at least 1 or 2 visits a day... from Google.

Since neither of these sites are very old, and the keywords are weak, I can't really make a proper comparison.

Does anyone else have any input on the topic? Does one search engine drive significantly more traffic than the other, or are they comparable?

I would like to know since it seems to me that it should be slightly easier to rank a NEW site on Yahoo! than on Google.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it depends on the keywords. some sites i have rank higher at google than yahoo...but get more yahoo traffic, and vice-versa. i think an easier question would be, which came first...the chicken or the egg? ;0)
  5. Bork, Bork, Bork!

The chicken!

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

for my sites, yahoo traffic is less than 10% of google traffic.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

As a general rule Google will have more trafifc Y! for almost any search except for a few one word searches.

Google surfers generally have more advanced search techniques
  11. No Profile Picture
    adr
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by zivkovicp
    Hi All,

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but I am curious to know what others' opinions are on the the topic...

Who's SERPs produce more traffic, Yahoo! or Google?
    It all depends on the topic. If you are targetting computer illiterate demographics, yahoo and/or msn will get you
    more traffic than google. Google caters to the more savvy crowd, they also don't advertise on TV like yahoo does.
    People like my GF(she doesn't even know what mhz or ram even is), will use yahoo because thats whats they see on TV.
    With my keywords, even though I rank in the top 5 both on yahoo and google, the majority of traffic comes from yahoo.
    MSN also treats me well with a steady stream of customers.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have to agree all opinions, Google traffic is way intense than Yahoo! generated one. But there are some keywords for which Yahoo! is listing my websites in the 1st SERPs. I couldn't notice any resembling between this cases, but one thing is for sure, submitting your website to the Y! directory is surely worth, and the incoming traffic will surely increase.