1. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Microsoft: We're Going All In On Search

A recent Search Engine Land article says that Bing is "at the center of Microsoft's consumer monetization strategy..."

It has been a big year for Bing, too. Yahoo and Microsoft ended their search agreement earlier this year, but they've gained an edge with Bing Ads. AOL defaulted to Bing results back in June. And, for the first time ever, Bing became profitable in October.

Now Microsoft sounds confident and positive about the place that Bing has to play in the future of search:

Rather than apologize for what might be perceived as underwhelming market share compared to Google, [Microsoft Corporate VP of advertiser and publisher solutions Rik van der Kooi] touted the fact that Bing has grown from seven percent of the US search market six years ago to a 21-percent share today – and up to a third of the market, if you include syndication.

“A year ago we didn’t have a significant syndication business. We’re seeing 20 percent growth year-over-year,” said David Pann GM of search advertising. Ad clicks from syndication partners have increased four to five times in the past year. Partners include Forbes, the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.
    It's an interesting little article. Microsoft has a lot of plans, it seems. Does anyone here pay much mind to Bing?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Does anyone here pay much mind to Bing?
    Bing is #2, I always pay attention to #2. Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    IMHO
    Bing is easier to rank in than Google, google better be very careful their reign might come tumbling down to that #2 spot.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Eventually Bing will either climb or fail. Then it'll be 3rd or the new #2!
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    We used to rank #1 on many major financial terms for years in the Google SERPs until Google forced the industry into using Adwords to be any where near the top of the results. This caused us to move away from chasing Google SERP results and move towards direct marketing to our base and using the Internet only as our financial reports delivery vehicle.

What is interesting is that although we have done basically ZERO SEO work on the site and NO chasing of backlinks for a couple of years, BING still places many of our money keywords on the first page of their search results. This causes me to conclude that Google is still dishonest when evaluating where to place commercial sites in the SERPs while Bing, possibly stupidly, places sites based upon their backlinks and content. Just sayin'...
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    We used to rank #1 on many major financial terms for years in the Google SERPs until Google forced the industry into using Adwords to be any where near the top of the results.
    Cough... Do you mean there are no SERPs anymore in your area of interest?

This caused us to move away from chasing Google SERP results and move towards direct marketing to our base and using the Internet only as our financial reports delivery vehicle.
    ...and then...
    What is interesting is that although we have done basically ZERO SEO work on the site and NO chasing of backlinks for a couple of years, BING still places many of our money keywords on the first page of their search results. This causes me to conclude that Google is still dishonest when evaluating where to place commercial sites in the SERPs while Bing, possibly stupidly, places sites based upon their backlinks and content. Just sayin'...
    When you lost results what pages moved into those positions? What enormous value does your content pages have that Bing loves so much and Google can't be convinced as being worthy. Just sayin'...
  9. rod@missionop.com

I find if you figured Google out your Bing basket is already full... So all your eggs are in 2 baskets. If you haven't figured out Google you have all your eggs in a much smaller ONE basket, so how is that "NOT HAVING ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET!"????

I spent 17 years perfecting my craft in Google, avoiding DIYSEO projects until I learned what others couldn't be bothered to learn.

Bing is a consolation prize for being a lousy DIYSEO. IMHO
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I find if you figured Google out your Bing basket is already full... So all your eggs are in 2 baskets. If you haven't figured out Google you have all your eggs in a much smaller ONE basket, so how is that "NOT HAVING ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET!"????

I spent 17 years perfecting my craft in Google, avoiding DIYSEO projects until I learned what others couldn't be bothered to learn.

Bing is a consolation prize for being a lousy DIYSEO. IMHO

Are you saying you spent years practising before you ever delved into SEO.

This thread had me worried that I had to play google adwords to rank. I had suspisions about this earlier, but it didn't come to anything. I can rank without google adwords can't I? I don't see my competitors paying for google adwords.

Plus google don't need to force people to pay for adwords there whole system encourages it.
    All your carpet needs try www.quality-carpets.com or if you have any questions www.carpet-questions.com
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Back on thread though, from a newbee perspective, google better watch out. Every move counts and they might make a shed load of money but they do it at a cost.
  15. rod@missionop.com

No, I dabbled in SEO before Google came on the scene. Since then that has been all I did. I actually retired in 2006 to focus on my own stuff, but suffered from a massive heart attack three months later, was in a coma for a while, rehab, did nothing much for a year, then started a number of SEO support services by 2008 and only started my own DIYSEO projects this summer.

There is no connection between Adwords andany other Google service.

Comments on this post

• Mos agrees
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is there anything new here ?? Hasnt Bing been threatening and never achieving for years ?? Ive never payed any attention to Bing at all. If I do some BINg seo this year will I see some results in sales threw my website ? Or should I just carry on as normal ?
  19. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Bishop Bob
    Is there anything new here ?? Hasnt Bing been threatening and never achieving for years ?? Ive never payed any attention to Bing at all. If I do some BINg seo this year will I see some results in sales threw my website ? Or should I just carry on as normal ?
    Hard to say. I honestly haven't been in the game long enough to know whether this year will be any different than the last. Someone else will have to speculate on that!

I do have news updates about Bing though: beginning this year, they've started to serve search results and ads for AOL. That's a service they've taken over from Google.

According to a piece in Search Engine Land, it's a 10-year deal that "affects all AOL search traffic worldwide and on all devices.

I guess the common critique there is "who the heck still uses AOL?" but progress is progress.