1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Listing in the Yahoo Directory = Temporary Drop in Rankings?

Hey all. I am considering listing a site in the Yahoo directory but am curious about one factor. When we added another one of our sites to the Y directory last year we actually experienced a period (a couple of months) where our rankings actually decreased in Y. Not sure if this is related or not. At the end of that two month period we jumped to #1. I'm curious whether or not others have experienced this temporary drop in Y ranking when being added to the Y directory?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've had mixed experiences using Yahoo! Directory listings:

The first site I submitted (which already had good natural Yahoo positions)... dropped significantly in ranking after the site was added. It's been a couple months... and it still hasn't returned to it's original positions.

The second site was dropped from it's natural positions over a year ago. Nowhere to be found (but not banned). After I added it to the Directory... "POW"! It was back in the natural search results! All my old positions returned!

CONCLUSION: If your site already ranks well in Yahoo!, don't take a risk by adding it to the Directory. If your site has been dropped... ... give it a try... maybe you'll come back!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

you have to know that when you submit your page to yahoo dir, you have to use your business name instead of the actual title of your page. thus, for what ever keyword your page is targeting, you may lose the ranking for that keyword
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    More importantly is that your title will no longer be seen in the Yahoo SERP. This in itself may have a dramatic effect on your CTR. This is one of the primary reasons I never put a site in the Yahoo directory. The second reason: why would I pay that much for a backlink from a directory. When it comes down to it, in most cases, Yahoo is just a backlink that brings little to no traffic. There are exceptions, e.g. higher priced proudcts/services that are in demand that have good profit margins.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin