Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy I have been penalized.

I contacted Yahoo and it seems that I have actually been penalized. All they have told me is that I have not followed their guidlines? This seems way too vague?

Can anyone please look at my site in my profile and please shed some light on why Yahoo has penalized me?

Thanks, Paul
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by pcurwen
    I contacted Yahoo and it seems that I have actually been penalized. All they have told me is that I have not followed their guidlines? This seems way too vague?

Can anyone please look at my site in my profile and please shed some light on why Yahoo has penalized me?

Thanks, Paul

Actually, your not banned. If i type in your url in search you come up. So what are you talking about.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jrath1
    Actually, your not banned. If i type in your url in search you come up. So what are you talking about.
    penalized could mean that they have dropped the site a few spots, not banned it entirely. I think a banning is about the last resort or applicable in extreme spamming cases.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question Not Banned but Penalized?

Yahoo said I have been penalized because my site doesnt follow their guidelines? Not banned. If you type in the site:www.mydomain.com in Yahoo search only my index page comes up. Last month it showed all of my pages. I think its unfair that all they tell me is that I'm not following their guidlines? If they told me what guideline I was breaking then I would fix and we could get on with it?

Again, anybody see what guideline I'm breaking?

Paul
  9. No Profile Picture

Can't say that something pops out for me. In all fairness though you cannot claim that Yahoo is being unfair, it is their search engine so they can do pretty much anything they want. I'm not saying you deserve this but you have to remember that Yahoo doesn't have to tell you anything.

With that said I do hope you get back on top again soon, it's ****ty not to know what you have done wrong.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by rdmedia
    Can't say that something pops out for me. In all fairness though you cannot claim that Yahoo is being unfair, it is their search engine so they can do pretty much anything they want. I'm not saying you deserve this but you have to remember that Yahoo doesn't have to tell you anything.

With that said I do hope you get back on top again soon, it's ****ty not to know what you have done wrong.
    Yes, Its really really ***ty. If I am doing something wrong I'm unaware. I'm getting good results in MSN and Google? Thats the frustrating thing, I'm not sure what to change/stop etc. etc.

Paul
  13. Contributing User

You're not banned but you are penalized which is equivalant to a ban. Travel sites seem to incur the most penalties since day one of the new Yahoo. Usually it takes about 3 months to know for sure because of the erratic nature of Yahoo. You could pop right back in at some point in the future.

You probably added a lot of pages and triggered some duplicate filters. Many travel sites seem to use templates that trigger this. From what I've seen over the past year, with travel sites, I tend to believe Yahoo wants some of your cash flow.
  15. Contributing User

I don't see anything wrong with it. Did you copy any content from another site?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question

Originally Posted by outland88
    You probably added a lot of pages and triggered some duplicate filters. Many travel sites seem to use templates that trigger this. From what I've seen over the past year, with travel sites, I tend to believe Yahoo wants some of your cash flow.
    We have added a lot of our free text listings in the last month. So if we continue to build our site then Yahoo will continue to penalize us? I don't get it?

Do you think getting a paid directory listing in Yahoo would help?

Thanks, Paul
  19. No Profile Picture

We have added a lot of our free text listings in the last month. So if we continue to build our site then Yahoo will continue to penalize us? I don't get it?

Thanks, Paul
    I believe it is said that a paid listing will even further decrease your SERP position. So I don't think that's a smart idea either
  21. Contributing User

Thanks, Paul
    I think the Yahoo Dir will improve your results within Yahoo organic listings. I have seen ppl say that it can hurt you, but my sites that are in the directory are more stable and rank higher.

I have tried benchmarking against an equally & slightly more optimized site and the site with the Y! Dir link will always rank one step higher (both sites are #1 and #2) even when the Y! Dir site is less optimal. Neither site had backlinks, other than the Y! Dir.

I have never tested against the Y! Dir effect on Google ranking so I can't offer input on that. However, I disagree that a Y! Dir listing will hurt you, especially within Y! organic results.

Oh, one last note. Y! Dir sites show directory breadcrumbs in the organic results. Obviously Y! would assign a premium to it's own directory within it's organic results.
    Last edited by Linux98; Mar 16th, 2005 at 10:41 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Just guessing: because you tried to fake your real popularity on the web, maybe?
    Please, please, help tsunami survivors making a donation: UNICEF - Red Cross
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by LowLevel
    Just guessing: because you tried to fake your real popularity on the web, maybe?
    What do you mean by "Fake" your real popularity?

How do you do that?
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question "Fake"

Originally Posted by LowLevel
    "Fake" - Having a false or misleading appearance; fraudulent.

I don't understand either? I'm not doing anything here that is misleading? or fraudulent?

Did you look at my site?

My site is what it is? What you see is what you get? I charge B&Bs for making them ads?

The thing is if Yahoo told me what I was doing wrong I would obviously fix. But they will probably take their time...
  29. Contributing User

PCURWEN I tested 3 categories of the directory in my areas composed of about 350 web sites. Roughly 40% of the directory listings were penalized. Since you're already penalized I doubt the redundancy of a directory listing would help in the regular index. If you have received good traffic from a directory listing in the past then that's another thing.

Sitematch and Overture are PPC and once you get involved with them only the url's you pay for will ever see the light of day. Discontinuance will lead to the removal of these url's.

You can appeal but only a handful of sites get back in.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: