1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Help - Yahoo Only Indexes My Homepage

My home page has been listed in Yahoo for years. However, the only page of my site that Yahoo lists is the home page.

I'd like to try and see if I can troubleshoot the problem. So here are a few details.

Yahoo Spiders - I'm not seeing any evidence that Yahoo is crawling my site. Here's what I have entered in Happy Log to identify as Yahoo and Inktomi spiders:
    Slurp.so/1.0
    Yahoo! Slurp
    Slurp

Meta Tags - Here is what I have listed on my home page for robot instructions:
    <meta name="RATING" content="General">
    <meta name="ROBOTS" content="index,follow">
    <meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL">

robots.txt - I have a blank robots.txt file on my site. It is not linked to by the site map.

Site Map - this linked to from every page on my site. The page has hyperlinked key phrase descriptions of every page.

Any ideas on what I can do to get Yahoo to crawl my entire site?
  3. SEO Theorist

Get into the Yahoo directory. I just got in and they are pounding me with spiders.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Vetteman18
    Get into the Yahoo directory. I just got in and they are pounding me with spiders.

My home page is already listed on Yahoo. Do I need to resubmit the url for the home page and hope it crawls the entire site?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I am experiencing the same problem on two of my prominent sites. yahoo indexes only the homepage. Is there any other way to get listed in yahoo other than submitting the site in the yahoo directory???
  9. No Profile Picture

should you continually resubmit your site to be crawled if they havent crawled your site in awhile? I have heard some say that it is not wise to resubmit your site to be crawled too frequently. Is this true, thoughts?

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by gchaney
    I would suggest building multiple deep links to your site including to your site map.
    I have had multiple deep links for well over a year and it has not made a single difference. Yahoo just continues to act is if my site only has two pages.
  13. Contributing User

Here is an idea...

If you post often on forums, why not try putting different links in your sig. For example one forum you could link to the homepage, one forum your sig could link to internal pages, one could link to some more internal pages... etc.

Also, keep in mind that Yahoo! takes longer to index sites than Google...
    Last edited by bbott; Jan 15th, 2005 at 04:02 PM.
  15. Contributing User

You're in the same boat as a lot of people Sweat. I've got a 1000 backlinks, even more in Google, so that is not the cause. Its some type of penalization that only allows the index page. The problem seems most related to directory sites but not all. You can also look at your pages for duplicated content and possibly excessive crosslinking. Yahoo is not going to tell anybody what the problem is.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What continues to kill me is that Slurp comes by, visits six or eight pages and then leaves.

I'm not convinced that the duplicate content is the problem everyone says it is. It it was, then any site with a manufacturer's description of a product - including Amazon and Barnes and Noble - would be penalized.

Excessive cross-linking isn't a problem either since there are many, many more sites linking to mine than I'm linking back out to.

There's something else going on with Yahoo that has been going on for a very long time. I just wish I knew what.
  19. No Profile Picture

make the robot.txt file and tell him to disallow some contents which slurp dont like. then it will check your site mostly. you can check this site:
    http://www.hagionet.info

This site is only listed in yahoo with one indexed page. when there was no robot.txt file then it was saying, future indexing zero and when i put the .txt then it is saying future indexing infinity. so the only way i think this way. although i just tested it today. and waiting for one week, what will happened with the robot.txt file. let me see.
    Last edited by hagionet; Jan 21st, 2005 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Forget to giving some informations.
  21. Contributing User

I've been told by many Yahoo is not observing the robots.txt file or no index meta tags even though Yahoo's states the opposite. To override the penalties some people have told me they just mirrored their sites to new domains and created an htacess file to stop bots from Google and MSN. Most said their new sites popped right back in less than a week. But I donít know what happened after that. My main concern with a mirrored site would be hurting yourself in Google or the new MSN. Bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.