1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Domain update / 301 redirect with Yahoo, this working now?

I found some older info from 2004 about how Yahoo didn't update domains after a 301 redirect was in place while google did.

I'm in the situation where our site was unfortuantely crawled while up on a temporary domain while servers were being setup.

The site's been live for ~ 3 weeks, and was originally indexed on both Google and Yahoo under this temporary name. We immediately put a 301 redirect on the old domain pointing to the new one, and Google has picked up on this and the pages have now 'switched' over to being listed under the correct domain.

Yahoo however, has not, and I'm very concerned with a) whether this will happen and b) the rough time this takes compared to google. We've had Yahoo crawling many pages fairly frequently lately (every couple days) spending 10-15 minutes on the site, but still no change.

What's the most effective way to make this happen, and will Yahoo eventually pick up on this?

Thanks VERY much in advance for the help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd love to know too...We'll be doing sitewide individual 301 redirects once our new site is finished. We're really ranking well and I'm concerned about it taking months or even worse, being out of the SERPS in the meantime.
  5. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

My site just did a relatively seemless transition from being hosted at socengine.com/seo/ to seomoz.org and it worked perfectly. It appears that even the links are recognized as pointing to the new domain. I had our programmer write about how it was done - seomoz.org/articles/301-redirects.php

Best of luck!
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by randfish
    My site just did a relatively seemless transition from being hosted at socengine.com/seo/ to seomoz.org and it worked perfectly. It appears that even the links are recognized as pointing to the new domain. I had our programmer write about how it was done - seomoz.org/articles/301-redirects.php

Best of luck!
    here's the crazy thing.

This morning it was normal (not updated).

Around 2:00pm today we noticed it had updated in one of our main search terms to the new domain, and when running a site:________ query we now had additional pages listed.

Now 2 someodd hours later it's BACK to the old domain, and the additional indexed pages we saw a couple hours ago are gone.

I'm hoping this is a temporary thing and will finally take 'hold' tomorrow or something?

Anyone ever seen this before?
  9. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I have seen inconsistencies in Yahoo!'s performance with 301s - they appear to have multiple indices that get pulled at times, so you must wait for all of these to update with your new data.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Randfish,
    I am curious if all of your pages are still named the same? Was this a move or a redesign? Currently we have a completely static site. Maintence is a pain b/c we take the dynamic page and basically copy it to static version with other minor tweeks; but with business growing as fast as it is, we've got to go and stay dynamic. The static copies of the dynamic pages gives us gorgeous URL's but I'm a little worried b/c the new site will have "good looking" dynamic URL's but we won't have the control that we have in our static site. Did you notice any rankings dips, drops ect? Your experience is greatly appreciated. (What happend in MSN and G too?)