1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy does not comply with Yahoo!'s Content Policy

I finally got a reply from Yahoo about what happened to my domain listing in the search engine database.

They don't specifically tell me why I am penalized (violate Yahoo!'s Content Policy Guidelines). In Yahoo's last sentence of their reply "At this time, we cannot give you specific details why your site has been penalized." I really wish they would tell me exactly what it is. My guess it is because of domain interlinking for all the different url's I own.

In their reply they say I can use the Yahoo! Express directory inclusion program. My question is if they penalized me today isn't it just a matter of time before they penalize me again after 3 or 6 months I paid $299 for inclusion in the Yahoo! Directory?

Boy for $299 I could pay for say 600 clicks at 50 cents a click which would probably be like 60,000 impressions. For $299 I can spend the money on web hosting space with unique ip's for my individual domains.

Plus spending $299 annual only gets my domain listed in Yahoo's directory but there is no guarantee Yahoo will index my web site again.

Since I own multiple domain names all displaying the same type of prouct but in a different order the items are displayed all on a single virtual private server they all use the same ip. From the seo forums I read that search engines are getting smarter and smarter and if they see the same ip then the search engine feels it is deceptive content by using massive domain interlinking and you're banned. I am only using cnames to category my products and yes it did help with the serp.

The work around is for me to go rent additional server same with each domain having a unique ip. This is financial burden and a total nightmare keeping this all synchronized and update at the same time with correct pricing. Add to this even if I could do it would only be a matter of time before the search engines are smart enough to detect the same content on the web page at different ip's??

I feel no matter how much a person works trying to optimize a web site the bottom line is eventually the search engine will banned you and you just need to do the "pay for click" program. This is what all the search engines want is for all online vendors to pay for every single click to one's web site.

Once again all the big companies will control all sales on the internet.

I am interested in your comments.

Best regards,

Scaleman

Reply-To: Yahoo! Search <search-feedback@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
    X-Mailer: KANA Response 7.0.1.116

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Search.

It has been determined that your site does not comply with Yahoo!'s
    Content Policy Guidelines located at:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearc...etions-05.html.

Below are some answers to common questions regarding this issue:

Q: What are some of the common reasons that a site may violate Yahoo!'s
    Content Policy Guidelines?

A: Yahoo!'s Content Policy Guidelines (link above) outline what we are
    and are not looking for in pages that we index. Listed below are some of
    the more common reasons that a site may violate these guidelines:

- Cloaking (showing crawlers deceptive content about a site)
    - Massive domain interlinking- Use of affiliate programs without the
    addition of substantial unique content
    - Use of reciprocal link programs (aka "link farms")
    - Hidden text
    - Excessive keyword repetition

Q: If my site has a judgment against it, can I use the SiteMatch
    inclusion program?

A: All pages submitted to SiteMatch are editorially reviewed. If a site
    has a judgment against it, it is likely to be rejected by the SiteMatch
    program.

Q: If my site has a judgment against it, can I use the Yahoo! Express
    directory inclusion program?

A: Yes, the Yahoo! Directory and Yahoo! Search Index are different
    systems. Inclusion or exclusion from one does not affect the other.

Q: How can I have my site re-reviewed?

A: Please review our content policy guidelines to make sure that your
    site meets all of them. When you feel the site is ready, please send an
    e-mail to webmasterworldfeedback@yahoo.com requesting a re-review of
    your site. You may wish to include an explanation of unique features on
    your site, or details of changes to your site's content that may assist
    our editors in their evaluation. The re-review process takes several
    weeks to complete. At this time, we cannot give you specific details
    why your site has been penalized.

Regards,

Louisa

New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - better than ever!
  3. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice and your point of view.

I don't mean to make excuses from myself and I am sure my situation isn't that unique.

I own like 15 different domains related to scales and balances and I think they are all very good domains like balances.com, weigh.net, scaleman.com, and scalenet.com to name a few. I presently have all my domains hosted on two unique ip. Basically I have like 2 domains on one server and all the rest on the other server.

It seems like Yahoo would want me to either develop each domain with unique information or I guess just not use any of my other domains.

Again I feel no matter what a person does online at the end of the day everything will go back to all online businesses needs to just comply with the big giant corporations like Yahoo to just submit to their "pay for click" model. They collect money for every click and I have no guarantee of any sale when they visit the site. In my industry many people call me 4 or 5 times before they ever make a purchase. If they call me this many times my guess is they visit the site probably 50 times before they finally buy.

In my business margins are very low and demand really isn't huge so it is extremely difficult to keep the business running online.

Again trying not to cry but business is to a point where UPS is charging more money for many of the products that I sell verses what my profit margins are that I am now starting to drop products. The problem here is as I drop products I'll go from a 1000 different product to 100 different products and then the web site drops in size and traffic so I'll drop even further on some of the other search engines.

Either way it seems I can't win.

I am open to more comments and points of view.

Thanks for your time.

Originally Posted by gchaney
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Understand your rant, but......Spam is spam, no offense

Try getting rid of the extra "duplicate different ordered content" sites.
    Try working with one and building that up.

If you have that many products, break your products up into category and build sites around each product category Optimizing each one for just that. Heck a site about pefume with a seperate descriptive page for each type would do darn well versus competition that lumps 1000 different products into one shopping mart.....

You'll probably end up dong a lot better with higher returns on the $$ that way anyhow with more focused buyers not being distracted by stuff they weren't looking for to begin with.

Just my opinion.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Why not just have one site and point the other domains at it?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by gchaney
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Understand your rant, but......Spam is spam, no offense

Try getting rid of the extra "duplicate different ordered content" sites.
    Try working with one and building that up.

If you have that many products, break your products up into category and build sites around each product category Optimizing each one for just that. Heck a site about pefume with a seperate descriptive page for each type would do darn well versus competition that lumps 1000 different products into one shopping mart.....

You'll probably end up dong a lot better with higher returns on the $$ that way anyhow with more focused buyers not being distracted by stuff they weren't looking for to begin with.

Just my opinion.
    good advice
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by sem4u
    Why not just have one site and point the other domains at it?
    I am using domain pointers. The problem is once I use domain name pointer the search engines considers the site repetitive pages and prohibited by the search engines.

Let's say I have one site and point the other domains to just one site.

I'll just give a fictitious example to try to understand this better. The url's below really don't exist.

I create the following unique html pages on my server we'll say at
    www.balances.com

so
    www.balances.com/bathroomscales.html

www.balances.com/truckscales.html

www.balances.com/foodscales.html

Now I use pointers for the other domains I own like scaleman.com and weigh.net to point to the balances.com. The pointer will point the domains scaleman.com and weigh.net to the ip address of balances.com (125.121.221.160)

Now a search engines could crawl the url

www.scaleman.com/bathroomscales.html

www.scaleman.com/truckscales.html

www.scaleman.com/foodscales.html

or

www.weigh.net/bathroomscales.html

www.weigh.net/truckscales.html

www.weigh.net/foodscales.html

Since all these pages (www.balances.com/bathroomscales.html , www.scaleman.com/bathroomscales.html , www.weigh.net/bathroomscales.html ) would be the same wouldn't the search engines consider the url's repetitive pages since they all point to the same ip and therefore prohibited by the search engines??

Therefore using domain pointers really doesn't achieve any.

I thank everyone for their input and I am just trying to figure out how to best resolve my problem other than just keeping one domain and then either selling off or letting the other domains expire. It almost seems like owning multiple domains is damaging to one's business.