1. No Profile Picture
    AGR
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Beware of Yahoo Local!

Here is my issue and what I emailed Yahoo.

"Hello, my name is **** and I am the owner/operator of **** in ****, TX. I have a Yahoo Local account that has my pictures and three reviews that clearly state [my business name] and [my name] in them.

When looking for my Local listing last week, I noticed another business must have hacked my Local account. The account now shows a different business name, information and telephone number, but still has my pictures and reviews. I contacted the business owner and he stated, he had nothing to do with this, as he hired a third party for his online advertising."

Here's what Yahoo responded with...

"Hello ****,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo Small Business Support.

My name is ****; I will be assisting you today.

I understand your concern for the status of your listing and apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused.

Basic Local Listings may be claimed by anyone as well as be updated by our 3rd party business listing partners. The updates to the listing for your business was submitted by Felix, found at ****

Please contact Fenix as to why they have a different phone and business name. It may be due to your hiding the street address.

To keep others from claiming or editing your listing details, you may want to consider upgrading your listing to an Enhanced Listing being that it has review times of 1 to 5 business days and the additional features below.

-Paid listings cannot be overridden by anyone other than the Yahoo User.
    -Paid listings will override third-party information.
    -Phone support is available for paid listings.

While Basic listings allow you to include important business details such as operation information (hours of operation, accepted payment methods, etc.) and services provided/products sold, Enhanced Listings also allow you to include:

-Up to ten photos
    -A company tagline
    -A long description that is searchable by Yahoo users
    -Two additional links to a web site (when applicable)
    -Performance reports

In addition to these features, your listing will also appear in Yahoo Local search results with a "Merchant Verified" icon, and unlike a free Basic Listing, an Enhanced Listing cannot be overwritten by listings submitted from other users. Support for Enhanced Listings is also available by phone and e-mail, while support for Basic Listings is only available by e-mail.

Enhanced Listings are $9.95 per month. If you're interested in upgrading to a Yahoo Local Enhanced Listing, please click on the "Upgrade" button next to your Basic listing in your Yahoo Local account. You can access the account at **** at any time.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo Small Business Support.

Regards,

****"

Has anyone heard such a thing?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

lol, Yahoo use to and may still charge $299 to review a site for the Yahoo directory and the charge was only for a review nothing more, it may get listed and it may not. The premium listing is just another revenue avenue.
  5. No Profile Picture
    AGR

After Yahoo replied back, I emailed this:

"Hi ****,

As I do appreciate your detailed reply regarding my issue, I am very shocked as to how Yahoo runs their business in these regards. Is this how Yahoo operates? I researched your policies and did not find anything you stated in regards to my yahoo business local account (free option) being able to be overrun by other parties. That is absurd. I would appreciate it if you could send me a link to your policy that states this information. Lets put this policy in perspective shall we? You're saying that due to the fact that I have a FREE listing with you, others are ALLOWED to HACK my account and TAKE IT OVER? That is like saying I have a free Facebook account and anyone is allowed to hack my account forever and use my information, my photos, MY REVIEWS as their own. That is STEALING and an unethical way of running a business. I get the feeling Yahoo wants their users to end up paying for their listing in turn making revenue for you guys. Ridiculous. Again, I know this is not your issue and that you simply work for Yahoo, but I really cannot believe this is the answer I receive even after trying so hard to contact you guys in the first place.

If you would be so kind, please send me a link to your official policy that states that third parties can STEAL my account information. Also, I would appreciate if you can send me contact information for a manager that I may speak with regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance,

****"

Then the last email I received from Yahoo:

"Hello ****,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo Local Listings.

My name is ****; I will be assisting you again today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are so upset with the Yahoo Local Listing service. We are unable to call you as requested. Support for Yahoo Local Basic Listings is provided via email only.

The business information for the free Basic Listings is designed to allow multiple sources to update the information so that as group the information provided to prospective customers has a greater chance to have the information they need.

For more information on the Yahoo Local Listing Requirements and Guidelines, please see the following help pages:

Yahoo is aware that this openess of the Basic Listings can be misused and we have a form so you or others may report such abuses. To request removal of a Yahoo Local Listing, please fill out our Removal Request form:

We will review the listing in question and take any necessary action.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo Local Listings Support.

Regards,

Yahoo Local Listings"

Any no, none of the links provided resolved my issue.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for this post.