1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs down #1 Rank On Yahoo, 15K Exact/month, 150 Visitors/month... Wondering Why

Hello Everyone!

I have a site that ranks #1 on Yahoo for 'sundress' and 'sundresses'. Google analytics says there are 15,000 monthly searches for the singular alone yet I am getting a measley 5 visitors a day.

The math does not compute.

Does anyone have similiar issues? Is there some kind of virus/trojan/whatever in the hosting servers that is somehow stealing or redirecting traffic? Is it possible for Google to somehow supress rankings in Yahoo? (My site that is about a particular thing and is not a bloated corporate giant... ergo no Google love).
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google analytics says there are 15,000 monthly searches
    From what? From Yahoo only or all traffic sources.
  5. No Profile Picture

That number was from Google exact search data. I am going to refigure based on Google data at 20K per month for both the plural and singular keyword. This will be on the very low side...

Yahoo/Bing hold 28.5% of the search market, so extrapolating from Google data, that would be a little under 28,000 total searches for that one keyword (X *.715 = 20,000). Yahoo-Bing's share of that is the 28.5% (28,000 x .285) or a few shy of 12,000 searches on Yahoo-Bing.

42.5 percent of all people click the first link (call it 40%), that would be about 4800 a month or 160 a day. But there is 5.

I am already aware that such estimates are by their nature generalities. They are inaccurate by nature. However... not this inaccurate.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Probably because the Yahoo search volume is a lot less than Google's? As I rule I always suggest that you take search volume data with a grain of salt, especially when transposing it over to another search engine when looking at expected traffic gains!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think that you should really focus on ranking your website in Google. Whilst you are trying to rank for Google, any business from Yahoo is bonus. Check out your website against Google guidelines and see how it compares. If it compares favorably, then you should start ranking favorably and then a lot more visitors will come. If it does not compare favorably, then you will need to fix whatever issues is causing the problems.

I notice that Yahoo can rank websites even if there are a lot of spammy links whilst Google does take action. Not meaning yours, just saying...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree at first blush this seems odd - so, I have a whole bunch of further questions (not necessarily in order of importance, just as I wrote them)

You start by talking about Google seaches and 5 visits then go on to Yahoo/Bing. Is that 5 visits from all Search engines or just Yahoo/Bing?
    You say that Analytics shows this number of searches. What does GWT say?
    I presume you are US based for that high a % of Yahoo/Bing searches!?
    What are the 'other results' around you (PPC and organic) and what are your title and description compared to theirs?
    Do you have Bing/Yahoo Webmaster tools account to see what they is happening?
    You say you are #1 for the term, is that Yahoo/Bing or Google or both? And are you sure both from a personalisation and localisation aspect?
    Freelance SEO and Web Developer
    Latest Clients Home Discount and Printed Products
  13. No Profile Picture

Yahoo only contain less organic traffic searches when compared to google. U better plan for seo on google