Thread: Webmaster Tools

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Webmaster Tools

Hey everyone,

I'm dealing with a rather complicated issue and I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I just started working on a website that didnít have all of its internal links pointing to the Index Page. I redirected all of these links to give the website more juice from internal links, but it has been 2 1/2 weeks and my Google Webmaster tools hasnít shown any changes nor noticed any positive progress on the website itself. Does anyone have an idea why that would be?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by brianbeldecal
    didnít have all of its internal links pointing to the Index Page
    Not sure what exactly you mean by this, please explain further.

Both what the situation was/is, and also why it would be necessary to fix....
  5. No Profile Picture

Response

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Not sure what exactly you mean by this, please explain further.

Both what the situation was/is, and also why it would be necessary to fix....
    Okay, sorry for the confusion, but it's a confusing problem. We have a standard primary navigation for every page which is home, about, ect... When I first started working on this site I noticed in the primary navigation for every page the "home" tab would direct traffic toward a page called "index/us/" which wasn't our actual index page.

When I changed the primary navigation to go to the standard index page it was not represented in my Google Webmaster Tools results. Nor was it reflected in my general link count which usually includes backlinks and internal links. I know that may take some time for Google to index all those pages, but nothing has changed in over 3 weeks.

Is that a better explanation or should I elaborate further.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Have the pages been crawled since the update? I would wait until 2-3 weeks had passed after the updates had been crawled before getting antsy about it.

But, if I were on a multinational website, and the true homepage, domain.com, were just a gatway page to select my language/region, and I entered into the site, browsing around, I decide to go back to the "home" page, I would want to be taken to my language/region's main page, domain.com/us/, not the gateway page, domain.com.

Just a thought on usability.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Have the pages been crawled since the update? I would wait until 2-3 weeks had passed after the updates had been crawled before getting antsy about it.

But, if I were on a multinational website, and the true homepage, domain.com, were just a gatway page to select my language/region, and I entered into the site, browsing around, I decide to go back to the "home" page, I would want to be taken to my language/region's main page, domain.com/us/, not the gateway page, domain.com.

Just a thought on usability.
    Thank you for your response. The extra index page was actually made to track marketing efforts, which was probably not the best idea but they designed it a long time ago.

It's been several weeks since I made those changes and I at least hoped my high ranking pages would show up as internal links in Google Webmaster Tools. I hope Google recognizes these changes eventually, but if not I'll have to find another way to restructure the internal linking on this website.

Thank you again.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Was there any other link on the internal pages that went to the correct home page? That might account for google not seeing a new link as it is just a second link from a page already being counted.

Also, it is theoretically possible that Google 'caught on to' the marketing page and internally marked it as a copy of the homepage (depends on the exact nature of how the marketing crud was done).

Finally, I wouldn't sweat it. Aside form fixing a usability issue this should not significantly impact your SEO. First because aside from a few extremes internal linking structure isn't a massive factor, and secondly because the page you used to point to was a copy of the one you are pointing to now, so the 'juice' was flowing about the same as it is now.

I would concentrate on other thinks and glance back in a month or three.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thank you

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Was there any other link on the internal pages that went to the correct home page? That might account for google not seeing a new link as it is just a second link from a page already being counted.

Also, it is theoretically possible that Google 'caught on to' the marketing page and internally marked it as a copy of the homepage (depends on the exact nature of how the marketing crud was done).

Finally, I wouldn't sweat it. Aside form fixing a usability issue this should not significantly impact your SEO. First because aside from a few extremes internal linking structure isn't a massive factor, and secondly because the page you used to point to was a copy of the one you are pointing to now, so the 'juice' was flowing about the same as it is now.

I would concentrate on other thinks and glance back in a month or three.

Thank you for your reply. I think beyond it helping me in terms of SEO, whenever Google does something the exact opposite of what I expect I lose faith as an optimizer. I'll keep checking it from time-to-time.