1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Tracking changes to site-wide navigation?

Hi guys,

We plan on changing around are eCommerce navigation and test a new cleaner navigational structure. I was wondering what would be a good way to track whether the performance of the old navigation vs the new navigation with Google Analytics or any other software on the market?

Cheers,
    Chris
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would think rankings/traffic would show the difference. Not sure if you need any special software, I'd just check the old against the new.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Check if you had a decrease in bounce rate. Also check if more people are navigating to the pages you want them to. I suspect that you changed your navigation because you want a better conversion funnel.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Novatronic
    Hi guys,

We plan on changing around are eCommerce navigation and test a new cleaner navigational structure. I was wondering what would be a good way to track whether the performance of the old navigation vs the new navigation with Google Analytics or any other software on the market?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Alright, first of all what is the size of your website (avg visits)

On your homepage, setup hotjar or crazyegg (hotjar has a free trial) or if you're a larger business set it up on a variety of pages. Just to see the heatmap and how people engage.

Then set up event tracking on your menu (I personally use through google tag manger) https://support.google.com/analytics.../6164470?hl=en I would run this for a few weeks to see how your current structure performs.

I would then set up your category names in to a rank tracking tool (I use https://topvisor.com/?inv=53883 - that is a referral link but you can remove if needed) they are I believe still looking for beta testers so if you say that I referred you and that you're interested in beta testing they should set you up with some credit. If you do this please do try and actually contribute. This gives you an overall idea of how the category is performing.

Then of course for specific keywords you can either set them up in your rank tracking tool or through Search Console.

I would then, finally, monitor your menu landing pages with GA to track bounce rate, but most importantly check that you are seeing an increase in conversion/revenue from these changes.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare