1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Resolving IP address to business name and address

Hello experts!

I'm interested in knowing which businesses are surfing our web site.

I'd like to take all the IP addresses every month from the server logs and append business names and locations (address, city, state, phone number etc - as much as I can get) to each number. We are only interested in businesses so we'd have to suppress any records from ISP's.

The reason you ask? We'd like to contact the high level marketing employees at that business (ie: VP Marketing). I could then give that list to a jobber to hunt down the actual contact name of the person we are likely to want to talk to at that company. + it would help us identify which competitors come to our site and the frequency.

A WHOIS seems to just provide a name, city and state in some cases... but I'm looking to collect more than that. At the very least a name and zip/postal code.

Any ideas where I can source this data from? Is there existing services out there that do this? Is this something Google Analytics can do?

Thanks,
    Dave A.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by Rockem Sockem
    Hello experts!

I'm interested in knowing which businesses are surfing our web site.

I'd like to take all the IP addresses every month from the server logs and append business names and locations (address, city, state, phone number etc - as much as I can get) to each number. We are only interested in businesses so we'd have to suppress any records from ISP's.

The reason you ask? We'd like to contact the high level marketing employees at that business (ie: VP Marketing). I could then give that list to a jobber to hunt down the actual contact name of the person we are likely to want to talk to at that company. + it would help us identify which competitors come to our site and the frequency.

A WHOIS seems to just provide a name, city and state in some cases... but I'm looking to collect more than that. At the very least a name and zip/postal code.

Any ideas where I can source this data from? Is there existing services out there that do this? Is this something Google Analytics can do?

Thanks,
    Dave A.
    Problem with this is that you could only get the info provided by businesses that register their information and have their own static IP address. 4 out of 5 will show only their ISPs information, not the business itself.

I've never looked into an analytics package that does this, but I do know that most Live Chat software includes this info.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Problem with this is that you could only get the info provided by businesses that register their information and have their own static IP address. 4 out of 5 will show only their ISPs information, not the business itself.

I've never looked into an analytics package that does this, but I do know that most Live Chat software includes this info.
    Yes, I have seen it on our live chat as well.

I think we are looking to target mid to large businesses and the percentage of those that have their on IP must be very high. I realize that we can't get everyone, but we might be able to identify enough businesses to make some sales and recoup any costs involved.

Where do the live chat services get that info from?
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You can't get access to whois databases without being a registrar... and even then I don't believe you'll have full unfettered access.

On the other point http://www.ip2location.com/products.aspx
  9. No Profile Picture

If you haven't seen it already, have a look at Trovus. Prices start from 150 pcm depending upon traffic volumes to your site. I've tried it and it works well.

(PS I don't work for them - I recently did a trial with them and I'm just looking for cheaper alternatives before stumping up the money) ;)
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by pridmorej
    If you haven't seen it already, have a look at Trovus. Prices start from 150 pcm depending upon traffic volumes to your site. I've tried it and it works well.

(PS I don't work for them - I recently did a trial with them and I'm just looking for cheaper alternatives before stumping up the money) ;)
    BINGO! I just watched the demo and this is what I'm looking for! Is there no one in North America doing this?

Thanks for the heads up - I think we will go for the trial and see how it works.

Can you tell me what 'pcm' stands for?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Rockem Sockem
    BINGO! I just watched the demo and this is what I'm looking for! Is there no one in North America doing this?

Thanks for the heads up - I think we will go for the trial and see how it works.

Can you tell me what 'pcm' stands for?
    Cool - glad to have helped. One of the definitions for pcm is "per calendar month"
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by pridmorej
    Cool - glad to have helped. One of the definitions for pcm is "per calendar month"
    Thanks and please let me know if you find a cheaper alternative.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo