1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Pageview industry benchmarks

My organization uses Google Analytics (GA) to measure Web traffic. Pageviews has become a great concern and the power-that-be would like to increase the number of Pageviews per month. My manager thinks it is possible to increase Pageviews by 15% in 3 months through a redesign of the site (no new content -- just a new color scheme, layout, etc.), which seems high to me. Is this likely or even possible? I would like to know if there is a benchmark we can measure against. Like, is 3%-5% an average in the increase of Pageviews as a result of a site redesign or a particular campaign? If anyone can provide me information I can take to my manager that would be great! Thanks.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by jsmithburg
    My organization uses Google Analytics (GA) to measure Web traffic. Pageviews has become a great concern and the power-that-be would like to increase the number of Pageviews per month. My manager thinks it is possible to increase Pageviews by 15% in 3 months through a redesign of the site (no new content -- just a new color scheme, layout, etc.), which seems high to me. Is this likely or even possible? I would like to know if there is a benchmark we can measure against. Like, is 3%-5% an average in the increase of Pageviews as a result of a site redesign or a particular campaign? If anyone can provide me information I can take to my manager that would be great! Thanks.
    Paginate the site so that every sentence is a new page. That should increase pageviews!

My point in my flippancy is that the question I would ask is "why?" why are pageviews being used as a success gauge. What do they tell you about your visitors and the success of your web strategy?

I find many companies who want to do a site redesign. I always ask why?

Usually it is only because the boss is tired of looking at their site, they have not actually implemented and customer feedback or usability studies to measure if they need a redesign.

In short, I couldn't say yes or no whether a redesign increases pageviews, and the term redesign is way to broad to have any studies which would say "a redesign typically indicates x amount of change in pageviews"

A redesign can mean many things, and should have measurable metrics attached which are specific to your business model.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes, it is possible to raise the page view with change the website design element. There's many tutorial about 'how to make your website speaking' out there. You can change the menu lay out, color, etc. Some knowledge about visual communication and psychology may help you. If you can give me the web address, I may help you.
  7. nut case
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If the current design is plain then a good redesign might make a difference. But if it's a decent site already, then, in the absence of more content, only better rankings will lead to a significant increase in page views. If you want more page views per visit then you need more or better content and the extra content can be in the form of more detailed text, an image gallery, etc.
    oops! I think I got that wrong! Sorry
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. Yes, the organization, particular the marketing manager (who has admitted they know nothing about web marketing or analytics or the Web in general) firmly believes that a site redesign alone will double pageviews in only a few months and will increase SERP. I've tried setting expectations with the manager and the powers-that-be that a site redesign alone will not achieve the results they want. I emphasize that quality content plays a big role, but they don't want to put the time/effort in developing new content as part of the redesign. I try to explain as best I can that there is no magic formula that will guarantee specific results, that SEO is mostly a science governed by trial and error, but the marketing manager is under the impression that if we do X, Y and Z that specific results will be returned. Also, I have explained that pageviews are not exactly something to get excited about, because it tells us nothing how users interact with the website, but my manager has clung to that metric basically because it is an easy metric to understand, especially for someone who has little understanding of the Web overall. Anyway, sorry for my ranting and I appreciate everyone's responses.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You are in an unfortunate position where you will need to either manage to educate several people about web-marketing or come up with a solid exit strategy as it sounds like you are being lined up as the fall guy/gal when this idiotic plan inevitably fails.

You might start by discussing the monetary goals of the web site and how it fits into the overall marketing plan. But at some point you are going to have to get that marketing manager up to speed on the web. Any chance you can talk them into a web-design seminar with a section on analytics? Pitch it as something 'we should attend together before the redesign so we don't waste money'?
    Maybe detailed meetings about what their underlying goals are and why those matter. For example start off by asking if you get twice as many page views but people spend fewer seconds on site would that be good? What if page views were stable but they spent more time on site?

Sorry to hear you are in a jam.
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I assume that you have a website because your goals are something other than pageviews - such as selling merchandise, getting potential clients to call you, collecting leads.

Instead of focusing on pageviews the focus should be "what do we really want our visitors to do/see on this website?" and then building calls to action and navigational funnels into the site that will accomplish those goals.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  15. No Profile Picture

Smile @RealityHack Thanks!

@RealityHack => Yes, I agree with you, it is a little bit of an idiotic plan. Before I actually started redesigning the site, I provided a detailed project scope that outlined deliverables and how much time each deliverable would take to complete. Just basic industry stuff really. Well, the scope was not well received....by anyone. In their mind a site redesign for a Website consisting of 20 pages or so, should take less than a month and should double pageviews in 3 months or less. Apparently what's important is to get something out there ASAP. Argghhh! Frusterating! Again, I work for a company that has little to no knowledge of the Web and I have spent considerable time educating staff about the Web and basic SEO, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other. At this point, I think my best strategy is to stay patient, continue educating as much as possible, do the best job I can...and keep an eye out for other opportunities. Thanks again for your input. It's appreciated.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Out of curiosity what is the 'conversion scenario' for your site? EGOL is right that is the place to start the conversation about rebuilding a site.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Out of curiosity what is the 'conversion scenario' for your site? EGOL is right that is the place to start the conversation about rebuilding a site.
    What do you mean by "conversion scenario"? Right now, they have no way to track who is converting. They don't have funnels and goals set up or use any form of link tracking. What they did was install GA and called it good. Like I said, the only report they seem to be stuck on is pageviews.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do you mean by "conversion scenario"? Right now, they have no way to track who is converting. They don't have funnels and goals set up or use any form of link tracking. What they did was install GA and called it good. Like I said, the only report they seem to be stuck on is pageviews.
    The "Conversion Scenario" would be what you *would* track with a conversion metric if you were using them.
    Most basically wither you are trying to generate email sign-ups, whitepaper downloads, on site sales, calls, whatever.

That is the starting point for your conversation about wither page views is a valid metric, because it will tell you what metrics you SHOULD be looking at instead (or in addition to).
  23. No Profile Picture

Smile Gotcha!

Originally Posted by realityhack
    The "Conversion Scenario" would be what you *would* track with a conversion metric if you were using them.
    Most basically wither you are trying to generate email sign-ups, whitepaper downloads, on site sales, calls, whatever.

That is the starting point for your conversation about wither page views is a valid metric, because it will tell you what metrics you SHOULD be looking at instead (or in addition to).
    Gotcha! I understand what you mean. To be honest, they have not defined a conversion scenario, although I did ask specifically what they wanted to track (email signups, etc.) and they said they were only interested in pageviews at this point. For some reason they are stuck on pageviews as being the best indicator for the success of the website.