Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How do you use Website Analytics?

Web Analytics is a practice that helps you understand how users find your website and interact with it. It can also produce information on problems that are occuring on your website such as files not loading or other errors.

You can read a short description of Web Analytics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_analytics

I use web analytics every day to find out...

* where visitors to my sites come from - these visitors might have clicked a link, typed a query into a search engine, used a bookmark or simply typed in my URL

* what search engines are delivering my traffic and what Keywords the visitors typed into the search engines to find me

* how long visitors stay on my site and how many pages they view

* the paths that visitors take through my website - for example, they land on the homepage, then click the products link, then click a link to a specific item

This information is valuable because it can be used to determine if your SEO efforts are paying off (am I getting any traffic from that #1 position on Google?). You can use it to see if changes made to your homepage result in more visitors clicking through to your most important offers. See if a new button on your site increases clickthroughs. Or, estimate the conversion rates of your sales pages.

You can run web analytics simply to learn about your site - or you can use it to answer dollars and cents questions.

How do you use web analytics? Share a few ideas below to get this forum going.

Thanks!
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  3. My first avatar here
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Talking

i see now, so this will be to discuss where, how and when my traffic came?

As you say this is very important to understand and evaluate clients activity. Becuase this can tell you where to focus in terms of who SE or website give you traffic... this can helps ppc and advetisements user to know and analize if its worth to invest....

Nice egol, at the start of your poll i didnt understand the idea of this, personally i do this by myself (because analizing process take alot of time) but i think this will help out many people....
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I love web site analytics because I like numbers and statistics, it gives me something to quantify.

I would say that my number 1 use for my stats package is checking the refferals on paid advertising to see what is working and what isn't. For this alone the price of almost any stats pacakge is worth it to me.

Hey if you are spending £100 a month on advertising and not getting any bennefit then surely £50 per year on a stats package has just saved you £1200 per year!

It is good to see where people are comming from and which pages are working and which ones are not etc as you say EGOL.

I do still use raw log files a lot as they tell you a bit more and you can really see how people use your site. Much better for spotting potential hacks as well.

I have used Urchin 4 & 5 AWSTATS and Matrix Stats before. I have to say Urchin is the best and its no surprise Google has turned it into Google Analytics which I think is excellent and FREE!

Checking your web site stats is a big part of your online game, or at least it should be!

There are lies, damn lies and statistics!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I really like www.statscounter.com , its free and works quite well
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Apprentice

the paths that visitors take through my website - for example, they land on the homepage, then click the products link, then click a link to a specific item
    How do you figure this out?
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

I use weblogexpert and it gives you the paths taken through your site.

If you set the software to do stats for people who entered your site through your page for PRODUCT A it will tell you how many people looked at that one page only, and tell you how many clicked from the PRODUCT A page to the PRODUCT B page, etc... for all paths taken through your site by visitors who entered through the PRODUCT A page.

It is a very useful program. They have a free version with limited functions or a full version for under $100. Lots of other programs do this type of analysis.
  13. Contributing User

Another useful aspect of web analytics is that it can help you determine PPC fraud. What some analytics packages do, for example, is look at the numerical address of people coming out onto your site (128.178.77.5) and "resolve" them to the domain name (your-big-rival.com); and if you find that lots of adword clicks come from "your-big-rival.com" at 9 am every weekday morning then maybe there's something fishy going on . I think more and more analytics packages will pick up this angle in their reporting.
  15. Contributing User

I did have urchin on a previous webserver and was most disappointed not to have it when we were moved to a new faster server.

Weblizer is okay as far as it goes, but Matrix and what was Urchin I thought were marvelous.

I've just asked for an invite for Google analytics, I didn't know it was a version of Urchin, so thanks guys for the information, the new forum is already spreading valuable knowledge.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Red face

google analytics look quite fine ... but always shows different results as our server built-in cpanel analytics - Awstats (which we actually don't trust too much) haha

we use analytics to track incoming traffic sources, entrance and exit pages (see why ppl enter / exit through them) and also user locations, languages, screen sizes and speed ... these will all help us to learn more about our users' IT capabilities so that we can constantly improve our site to better cater to their surfing needs
  19. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

The clicktracks products - http://www.clicktracks.com
    have some good features. The analyzer tool will tell you where people go after hitting a page whether PPC or organic.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  21. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

That is a valuable thing to do. We recently put up a new design on one of the sites and are now watching what people do when they land on pages - then using that information to evaluate the new design. Is it getting people to do what we hope they will do.
  23. Moderator

Originally Posted by EGOL
    That is a valuable thing to do. We recently put up a new design on one of the sites and are now watching what people do when they land on pages - then using that information to evaluate the new design. Is it getting people to do what we hope they will do.
    Yeah getting the visitors to your site is one thing. Making them buy something is quite another

I use Google Analytics as well as a few other stat tools. It works really good for tracking visits and the funnel pages which brought the user to the goal page. So far I am pleased and since it is free can't complain
    I know some foreign(none US) countries users have complained that the stats take 24 hours to update or something. Right now I am getting almost live results. It takes a few minutes to process but is pretty fast. I will have to test it for a few more months and then give a full report.
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Great... give us a report as soon as you learn something. I have been approved to use it but have not put it up yet.
  27. Moderator

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Great... give us a report as soon as you learn something. I have been approved to use it but have not put it up yet.
    It took me a few days after being approved before I got the time to install it as well.
    I will see what I can do once I get alittle more used to it. Why what are you looking for? What exactly would you like me to try and give a report on?
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Wow what an offer!

I know that your time is valuable but if it has any features that you find especially useful or different types of analytics that are not present with other tools that you have used.

Anything that you care to share would be great and of interest to many who have not tried it yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: