1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to calculate organic session trend in GA?

Hi Guys,

I want to identify whether organic landing pages in Google Analytics month on month (over 6 month period) have increased or decreased in traffic and whether the traffic trend is positive or negative.

See:

In total there are 500 pages, so it's just not feasible to review each organic chart for each organic landing page to view the trend.

Iím sure there is some way to view this in Google Analytics, but just not sure how.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Novatronic; May 18th, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes, you can do this novatronic, here are some thoughts:

you can look at month over month traffic, in the image below, see buttons where it says day, week, month

daily-graph.png

Also, I see that your cut is buy URI, so you'll want to apply this to the chart in your top landing pages report...remember, you can used advanced segments (segments at the top to cut by organic traffic) and you can use "in report segments (the little box blow the chart but above the report to filter any URIs that you don't want in the list.

For the item in red, where you're looking for the count, for the specified date range, use the date range (little calender in the reports) to set the date range you need overall, for the rows you have for months 1-6

Here is google documentation on what cuts are available for time parting:
    https://support.google.com/analytics.../1010054?hl=en

Let me know if this clarifies
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hey Whiterabbit,

Thanks for the reply, so i want a single metric see screenshot above (sorry that screenshot didn't upload before).

Looking at daily-graph.png like you suggested for 500 urls is not what i'm looking to do.

Cheers.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ah, okay...i thought the question was suspiciously simple...what you're trying to do is possible (if i'm understanding you correctly this time ;) ) but a bit on the intermediate or advanced side

Option 1: custom reports - minimal solution
    From a quick glance, I think you can build something similar to this out using custom reporting; where for URIs, it shows the rolling 6 month trend by URI and calculated totals. Now as far as the "traffic trend is positive or negative" part may be a bit more challenging with custom reports. Thus, building the custom report may be a solution here but and at worst, it can automate most of report building for you, and you may be left just exporting and doing some conditional formatting, as a worst case scenerio.

Possible next steps:
    a) If you do some googling, you can look for custom report templates that people already created and see if there anything someone else created which is close to what you're looking for

b) Try to create you own custom report that will get you to where you want or close to it. Here is Googles link for getting started with custom reports: https://support.google.com/analytics.../1151300?hl=en ; they have some visualization options but having them show conditionally may be a bit of stretch but worth a try
    Option 2: API / Google sheets - full solution

If you want this exact report, just pre-populated and automated for you, you can build the report using the API and display the data just like this in google sheets, this method will allow you to set up the conditional formatting just how you have it hear and run the report as you need it. Its not too complex to build but does require some coding know how...

let me know if I understood you correctly
    If not, I'll check back in tomorrow #thirdtimeisacharm

Comments on this post

• Novatronic agrees : Thankyou!