1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google analytics shows drop in sessions traffic.

Hi All, Newbie here,

I'm looking at our Google Analytics (GAn) data for amritayoga dot com. On Oct 22 our Organic, Social and Referral sessions traffic
    dropped to zero and the Direct traffic stayed the same. I went to the Google Search Console (GSC) and our Total Clicks showed no
    change. Oct 22 was the same time as the big DDOS attacks happening in the USA and it was very hard to access the
    website. I think our webhost service (HostNine) was affected by the attack.

How could our GAn Organic, Social and Referral traffic drop to zero but our GSC Total Clicks not change at all? Could there
    be a tracking problem with GAn? I used the Google Tag Assistant tool and it looks the GAn tags are firing normally on the various
    pages.

Also around Oct 22 I changed the category of some of our Wordpress blog posts.

I just checked and it appears that our Organic, Social and Referral traffic may be recovering just a little bit. Hard to tell for sure.

Any ideas what caused the traffic drop on Oct 22? How would you research this? Thanks,
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Oct 22 was the same time as the big DDOS attacks happening in the USA and it was very hard to access the
    website. I think our webhost service (HostNine) was affected by the attack.
    If the website wasn't loading, then it wouldn't be able to load the GA script. Search console still shows clicks because they still sent clicks to your site just your site wasn't up to receive those visitors.

Comments on this post

• m3110w agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi ThomasHarvey, Thanks for the info. If the source of the problem was the DDOS attacks, wouldn't our Google Analytics sessions traffic recover quickly after the attack ended? Our Organic, Social and Referral session traffic is still very low compared to before Oct 22. Any ideas? Thanks,
  7. No Profile Picture

The reason may be terrible Google updates that made sudden changes to rank of all websites. People at different locations around worldwide are facing the same issues. Best idea is to work on Google algorithms updates and find out the ways how things can be made in your favor.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hello william17, Looks like our traffic has come back to normal. Looks like the problem was the Google Analytics tracking tags on our website pages somehow got deactivated. I re-activated them 2 weeks ago and now our traffic data is showing as normal.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thanks for updating!