1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google analytics - custom reporting; any thoughts?

Hi
    I was wondering if any of the experienced SEO guys here had any thought on the custom reporting feature and how they have managed to or are planning to benefit from its features. I am still not 100% at ease with how to adapt in practice what it has to offer, so perhaps some of you already have managed to get some experiences under your belt.
    thanks in advance

Sami
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by sambkk
    Hi
    I was wondering if any of the experienced SEO guys here had any thought on the custom reporting feature and how they have managed to or are planning to benefit from its features. I am still not 100% at ease with how to adapt in practice what it has to offer, so perhaps some of you already have managed to get some experiences under your belt.
    thanks in advance

Sami
    You need to specify what Analytics package you are talking about. I could explain how I use custom reports in Webtrends and it might be downright impossible to do the same in another package.

The second issue here is that you are IMO approaching analytics from the wrong side. Analytics are just measuring tools. No different from a tape measure or speedometer. I don't think it would be useful for a carpenter to sit around thinking "man what can I use this tape measure for" regardless of how fancy said tape measure is.
    The way I would approach analyitics is to first come up with an actionable question about your website... like 'Will putting X seal in the upper right hand corner of our site increase CR?' or at least an informative one that you can then get actionable questions from like 'Where are users dropping out of our checkout'. THEN figure out what report you need to use or create to get that information.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

hi
    thanks for the rely
    I am sorry i didnt specify the software, I was referring to just Google analytics, I should have re-read my post before submitting it.
    And yes I agree totally with what you are saying about having a "motivee" so to speak, I just meant if anyone had any positive experiences with the custom reporting, having perhaps discovered something very useful that could have been shared here.
    Sami
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Unfortunately I have no experience with the current Google analytics.

Maybe if I knew more about what kinds of 'custom' reports could be created I could suggest some possible tests you might want to run.