1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Filter My Own Traffic To My Website

Hello,

So I Google Analytics, I added a filter to exclude traffic from my own home PC. Filter Type = Predefined -> Exclude -> Traffic From the IP Addresses That Are Equal To - > "My Public IPv4 Address"

However, when I go to my website on my PC, then look under Real Time Reporting In Google Analytics, I see that my session is being logged.

I see the number of Active Users currently on the site increase as well as the number of Page Views as I navigate through my site's pages.

Thoughts on why this is so?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have excluded your public IP address then it should not show traffic from your IP in analytics.
    Make sure you are seeing the same 'View', and keep in mind that filters are applied in order you created them, new filters are applied after existing filters.

For alternate, you can also create filter with 'Custom' filter type. For that,

Filter Type = Custom | Exclude -> Filter Field - > IP Address | Filter Pattern -> your public IP
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tried using the Custom filter, but I still see my traffic in the Real Time Overview report. I have about 8 filters in total, 7 of them are IP based exclude filters ( Referral Spam etc..) and also have an Include filter for my website's host name. I moved the new filter around, top and bottom, and also moved the include Hostname filter to the top, But I am getting the same results. Still see my own traffic.

I have also tried to exclude my IPV6 address as well. No luck.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unless the Real Time View doesn't actually apply the filters, but the other reports do? This seems unlikely.
  9. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I tried using the Custom filter
    Why would you use the custom filter when there is a predefined filter?
    When using custom filters (if I remember correctly) you need to add backslash before every point in the IP address a bit like when you write regex.

The easiest way it to choose predefined filter > exclude > traffic from IP > starting with > Your ip

Hope this helped.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Pierre Benneton
    Why would you use the custom filter when there is a predefined filter?
    When using custom filters (if I remember correctly) you need to add backslash before every point in the IP address a bit like when you write regex.

The easiest way it to choose predefined filter > exclude > traffic from IP > starting with > Your ip

Hope this helped.
    Pierre, I did use the predefined filter as I mentioned in my original post. That is not working, which then led me to give the custom filter a try. No luck with either.
  13. SeoRaptor

I miss read your first post, my bad, sorry for that, If I remember correctly filter do not affect your live (real time) reporting, but only the stored data. So I think your filter works...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If I remember correctly filter do not affect your live (real time) reporting, but only the stored data. So I think your filter works...
    No, filter also affect real time reporting data. Compare filtered view with unfiltered view.

Originally Posted by BrownBag
    I tried using the Custom filter, but I still see my traffic in the Real Time Overview report. I have about 8 filters in total, 7 of them are IP based exclude filters ( Referral Spam etc..) and also have an Include filter for my website's host name. I moved the new filter around, top and bottom, and also moved the include Hostname filter to the top, But I am getting the same results. Still see my own traffic.

I have also tried to exclude my IPV6 address as well. No luck.
    For a test, Create a new view that has only a single filter (exclude your IP ) and then compare real time reporting of this view with Unfiltered view.
  17. SeoRaptor

No, filter also affect real time reporting data. Compare filtered view with unfiltered view.
    Good to know, it used to be different, real time is not somethings I monitor except on very rare occasion.

From analytics help forums :
    Filtered views

If your data looks incorrect in Real-Time, check which filters are being applied to the view. It's best to use an unfiltered view when debugging tracking code implementations. Changes made to views may take up to two hours to reflect in Real-Time.

19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I miss read your first post, my bad, sorry for that, If I remember correctly filter do not affect your live (real time) reporting, but only the stored data. So I think your filter works...
    Pierre, No worries.

Uditsh,

I created a new View with ONLY my IPv4 address Filter applied, using the predefined filter.
    As soon as I created it, and went onto my website, Boom, the darn session appears! Not sure what the heck is going on here!

I am checking my Public IPv4 address from What Is My IP | Find my IP Address | Public IP Address and various other sites to compare.

Do I need to include my IPv6 address then? I wouldn't think so.

But as Pierre pointed out, I will check again in a couple hours to see if it takes a bit of time for the filter to take effect.
    Last edited by BrownBag; Jul 5th, 2016 at 12:45 PM.