1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exit Rate miscalculation

Hello,

Recently I am checking my exit rate and I found that analytics showing 0 exists but the page views is 2. If a person has 0 exists from that page then why it is showing in Exit pages.

Even though page views is 0.

Pleas help me for this.
    Last edited by apoorva7; May 3rd, 2017 at 02:53 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hey apoorva7...exit rate and pageviews are not directly related, I'm guessing that the session continued on beyond that one pageview...here is googles documentation on the two explaining this in more detail: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2525491?hl=en . If you can provide info on what report you're looking, I may be able to help in greater detail..
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey WhiteRabbit,

First thanks for the reply,

I know the difference between page views and exit rate. But actually my question is different. I ma sharing you a screen shot of my analytic stats. Hope that would be helpful to understand my main query. I got this in my analytics exit pages section so If page views is exits is 0 but page views showing there were 1 or 2 page views then how 0 exists is showing.

I know the meaning of exit rate that means when a person exists from a particular page in a particular session. In this image when 0 exists is showing even after 2 page views. How's it possible.

If you got my point then please let me know.

7. Contributing User

thanks for the detailed clarification...I took another stab at your question, including your latest details, hopefully I understood the issue ok

a) Reporting layer issue - something is weird how you're pulling the metrics : I am not sure if pageview is what you should be try to measure this against? It is possible that even though there was a page view on the /addon-deal/* pages, it is possible that those pages are not were the visitors existed. Exists are calculated off of entrances but if you look at entrances to exits in a landing pages report, they will not match the same page..so your best bet is to see if they map over all...said another way, just because this is the pageview that a was collected during somepoint of the user journey does not mean that it is the page view that the user exited on...

The takeaway from the point above would be to try to look at the entrance /exists overall to see if there is an issue sitewide.

BUT
    Assuming that you already know the above and it is the case that these pages are the only entrances and possible exits from your website

here is another option below with something else you can try to try to figure out what is going on

b) collection / configuration level issue - maybe something is wrong with GA - another possibility is that there is an issue with the tracking itself or something is getting overwritten maybe? I'm not sure exactly what you're solving for in digging into this but as far as troubleshooting, my personal next step would be to try to replicate the behavior using the google tag assistant chrome exention (here is a link to it: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...okphdefk?hl=en) and see if I can either find the issues or gather any new learnings that way...There are links at the top, one is called "google analytics report" that is the one you'll want look at...

Anyway, I hope this helps...other members may have other thoughts as well..
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey White Rabbit,

Thank you so much for the reply .

Actually I want to check the exit pages because that gives me a idea abut where users are exiting and will try to improve this. But results are beyond understand so I shared this question. If there is problem in this tool's calculation then it can give a wrong data on different aspects also.

My next question will be if person is not existing on the particular pages then why it showing in exit pages tab? Really it's making me confused now i can also judge the entrance pages or landing pages.

But thanks for this helpful answer(Y).
  11. Contributing User

Actually I want to check the exit pages because that gives me a idea abut where users are exiting and will try to improve this.
    WR: I hear ya, its tough to really visualize that using this particular report without throwing the data into a visualization tool or something...
    Have you tried looking at the "behavior flow" report under "behavior" section in GA? ...thats the report that I normally use...Its also segmented by default by landing page metric but you can do in report segments on that...it may provide more ready insights on seeing where visitors are dropping off.

But results are beyond understand so I shared this question. If there is problem in this tool's calculation then it can give a wrong data on different aspects also.
    WR:It definitely can product wrong data in other aspects, using the chrome extention will help you rule that out

My next question will be if person is not existing on the particular pages then why it showing in exit pages tab?
    WRarhaps the report is being built by page view instead of exist count...that would be my one guess..

Really it's making me confused now i can also judge the entrance pages or landing pages.
    WR:"entrance" is a subdivision of "landing page"'s...an "entrance" is a landing page that does not result in a bounce...the "landing page" metric includes bounces, from my understanding

But thanks for this helpful answer(Y).
    Sure thing
  13. No Profile Picture

Hey,

[IGREP]Have you tried looking at the "behavior flow" report under "behavior" section in GA? ...thats the report that I normally use...Its also segmented by default by landing page metric but you can do in report segments on that...
    it may provide more ready insights on seeing where visitors are dropping off.[/IGREP]

I also use "behavior flow" for judging the users flow on site but I have read segmentation many time..

Can you tell me how's this beneficial for us. And what kind of reports I can judge through segmentation?

Thanks for your reply.
  15. Contributing User

Can you tell me how's this beneficial for us. And what kind of reports I can judge through segmentation?
    I'm not sure I understand your question here...using the behavior flow report.. you have a lot of freedom to segment to get cuts of data you may need....you can do inreport segments (if you click the little gear next to the selected segment, which defaults to "landing page" you can select multiple segments). If you're looking to do something more indepth, you can create an advanced segment (these are the tiles that usually default to "all users" at the top of all reports that get applied to no matter what report you're using e.g. get applied to both exit report and behavior flow report)

With that said, i'm not sure i'm understanding your question....if i'm not getting it, feel free to clarify and I can try to help further