1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Isn't Alexa Ranking redundant these days?

Most of the experts on the other community I am apart of, people who have been in the game for years, say that Alexa ranking is basically unimportant, that it is easy to game, and little attention should be paid to it compared with the big G and others.

I was quite surprised to find such an active section about it on this forum, so was wondering people's opinions about how worthwhile it is? I haven't ever bothered with it and seem to get a long fine.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : You are correct. Alexa rankings are BS. Lots of people still believe in them but they are BS.
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by DomW
    Most of the experts on the other community I am apart of, people who have been in the game for years, say that Alexa ranking is basically unimportant, that it is easy to game, and little attention should be paid to it compared with the big G and others.

I was quite surprised to find such an active section about it on this forum, so was wondering people's opinions about how worthwhile it is? I haven't ever bothered with it and seem to get a long fine.
    Read through the alexa forum.. look out for SEO_AMs posts
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DomW

Alexa ranking has nothing to do with SEO. It just indicates the popularity of a website. If a website has low alexa ranking it means that it receives alot of visitors. Compared to a similar site (with regards to content) but having a higher ranking.
    It is good for comparison purposes. For example if you want to advertise on a website, you will need to know how popular that website it. So Alexa rank is for that purpose.
    I wish I could help you further by posting article link that explains in greater detail, but I can not post a link. This crazy forum does not allow me to do so. I think sharing useful links and information is the main purpose of a forum but I dont understand why posting link is not allowed even if it helps any other person. No wonder the ranking of this forum is too low despite being around for ages.

You should post in a better forum to get the answer.Sorry I can not help you because it is not allowed!

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye : wrong wrong wrong
    • TcxAnthony : Alexa only ranks based on traffic from Alexa Toolbar users, and you can't post links so that you don't spam the forum.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mali75
    Alexa ranking has nothing to do with SEO. It just indicates the popularity of a website. If a website has low alexa ranking it means that it receives alot of visitors. Compared to a similar site (with regards to content) but having a higher ranking.
    It is good for comparison purposes. For example if you want to advertise on a website, you will need to know how popular that website it. So Alexa rank is for that purpose.
    I wish I could help you further by posting article link that explains in greater detail, but I can not post a link. This crazy forum does not allow me to do so. I think sharing useful links and information is the main purpose of a forum but I dont understand why posting link is not allowed even if it helps any other person. No wonder the ranking of this forum is too low despite being around for ages.

You should post in a better forum to get the answer.Sorry I can not help you because it is not allowed!

well thanks anyway!
  9. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by mali75
    It is good for comparison purposes. For example if you want to advertise on a website, you will need to know how popular that website it.
    So wrong... so very very wrong wrong wrong.

It's the popularity of the website with the people who have alexa toolbar installed... so it means nothing.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    So wrong... so very very wrong wrong wrong.

It's the popularity of the website with the people who have alexa toolbar installed... so it means nothing.
    This is what I have said. Did you read my post?
    SEO has nothing to do with Alexa ranking. A website having a low alexa number does not mean google will give it preference. Alexa ranking is just a way to compare the popularity of two similar content websites. Because alexa ranking only changes when the website is viewed by an Alexa toolbar user.

It is only a way of comparing websites having similar nature of audience, for example a website dealing with SEO is more likely to have its audience having Alexa toolbar installed compared to a forum dealing with science/engineering topics.

You will get a false comparison if you compare Alexa ranking of science forum with a SEO help website. But the popularity comparison will be reasonably good if you compare SEO 1 website with SEO 2 website.

And again, Alexa has nothing to do with SEO. Google does not care what the alexa ranking of a website is to list it on the search results.
    Last edited by mali75; Nov 16th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
  13. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Mali75... Think about what you are saying. First.... what kind of person installs the Alexa toolbar? Usually a techie or someone involved in the selling of domains and/or backlinks. The average/normal Internet search engine user does not know what an Alexa toolbar is.

The above being true, you are only looking at the population of techies, etc. with the Alexa toolbar installed that visit a site. That is a terrible and worthless metric.

Bottomline: Alexa's primary use is to mis-inform the uninformed.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  15. No Profile Picture

I'm not sure, but unfortunately to get recognized by the E3 committee (big video game thing) you need a high Alexa ranking. Argh.
  17. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by negative_zero
    I'm not sure, but unfortunately to get recognized by the E3 committee (big video game thing) you need a high Alexa ranking. Argh.
    In that case you need to target Alexa Toolbar users.

Years ago, the toolbar was especially popular in East Asia. I dunno how it is now, because -- basically and personally -- I can't be bothered. But if you MUST achieve a good Alexa ranking, then target their users specifically. Write your social media promo messages in Japanese if needed ...
    ...Hey you! FREE SEO report card ...I really my hosting company...
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by negative_zero
    I better check my Alexa ranking before the next Black Ops 2 double xp weekend!!