1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs down Warning: ODP Considers Affiliate Marketing SPAM! They'll remove your site!!

Situation: my client was removed suddenly from the directory after being one of the FIRST listed in the category (spanning several years back). I asked for assistance at the ODP unofficial discussion forum and received this response from an editor:
    Original thread: RZ thread
    Originally Posted by hutcheson
    One of the dangers of having thousands of affiliates, all of whom claim in their own name to be providing your goods and services, is that you may be mistaken for them.

The editors don't have the time or inclination to spend very much time tracking down which of the thousands of distributed-conspiracy-to-conceal-the-original-mirror is the real one...<snip>

And since your whole business model is predicated on successful concealment of the true provider of the services...<snip>

There has been no mistake to be corrected. The ODP pursues its goal of listing unique content. You pursue your goal of replicating your content thousands of times. The results are predictable and inevitable.

So there's nothing to discuss.
    The message is clear to all affiliate marketers: don't have too many affiliates and grow too large or ODP will remove your listing.

Is this a case of ODP editor corruption? What else could it be? My client's site is considered an authority in his niche and has more content than 99% of those listed in the top 100 Google SER's.

Watch out marketers...once ODP removes you the site will be banned from the directory for LIFE since there are no appeal processes.

Good luck to all and I sincerely hope you do not piss off the wrong corrupt editor.

Bobby
  3. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

This has been the message from DMOZ for a very long time. Its nothing new. Your client's site would have been added before the rules were tightened.

There are mechanisms and procedures for dealing with alleged corruption - as you have come to rant, I can only assume you followed that procedures. What was there response to your complaint?
  5. No Profile Picture

I have been waiting weeks for a response. I truly believe the email account that receives those abuse reports are mapped to :blackhole:

The procedures for reporting abuse are a joke...

I know this is a rant that has been heard many times before but if every one were recorded on this forum and others maybe someone will catch on. Imagine if someone searched for ODP or DMOZ and returned countless threads of corruption, waiting years to get included, and other complaints. Maybe Google and others will stop using the data and find other ways of mining the information needed.

Just doing my part and recording the abuse...

Bobby
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

DMOZ has clearly stated that one of their criteria is for original and unique content. By definition there is nothing unique about an affiliate site purely for the reason that it is a "portal". Now if there is some dispute as to what % of the site is affiliate based and what is unique and original content, I understand the debate.

However, if this is your example of mass courruption and the downfall of DMOZ, you will have to do a lot better than that.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jasontnyc
    DMOZ has clearly stated that one of their criteria is for original and unique content. By definition there is nothing unique about an affiliate site purely for the reason that it is a "portal". Now if there is some dispute as to what % of the site is affiliate based and what is unique and original content, I understand the debate.

However, if this is your example of mass courruption and the downfall of DMOZ, you will have to do a lot better than that.
    I think that is point is at the heart of the episode: my client's site is NOT an affiliate for anyone. His site is 0% affiliate. The editors think that too many affiliates pointing TO MY CLIENT is a bad thing and therefore removed him from the directory.

What system is in place to appeal a bad or incorrect editor decision? None.

The ODP is getting too full on its self (in general).
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Once we identify a family of mirrors, we don't list any of them (as is explicitly stated in our submittal policy.)
    Although they clearly state that this is grounds for removal. I just don't see the corruption part.

I would look at it further but the url is blocked by my filters. I imagine the other sites are using the same format as the original phermone site.