Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

top affiliate programs

Hey all,

i have a game website that is recieving over 300k imps daily, can anyone please show me some excellent (and tried) affiliate programs that could convert and not waste my time.

I am relying on some good feedback here, please no pun...
  3. Contributing User

Watcher

The best bet for you would be to sign up at Commission Junction, Shareasale and Linkshare. These are the major affiliate networks. There is no cost to join any of them.

At CJ you can view the affiliates by category and then sort them by "network earnings", "3 month network EPC" and "7 day network EPC". For example in the Games & Toys category hobbytron looks like a strong performer with a 3 month EPC of $21.36.

Linkshare's listings are not as detailed, but there are many quality affiliates in their network and some find it easier to generate links to individual products with their system.

Shareasale is newer than the two other networks, but I find that many of the programs in there are high paying and are with merchants that are eager to accommodate the desires of the affiliate marketers.

If you need any further help, let me know
  5. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Clickbank is a great one... I use them for one of my ecommerce sites www.quit4good.com

I am an affiliate for a few sites in the clickbank marketplace - they pay!

also free to join
  7. Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Whats are your uniques if you have 300k+ impressions per day?
  9. Contributing User

my uniques for the site are around the 15k mark...
  11. Contributing User

Originally posted by "thewatcher"

my uniques for the site are around the 15k mark...
    With that amount of traffic you should be making some serious cash if you can implement an effective affiliate marketing strategy.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My experiences of affiliate marketing are very poor, despite having some reasonably high traffic sites.

It seems only a very small percentage of visitors actually go on to part with their money. We use Commission Junction but it brings very little... in March we delivered over 30,000 impressions; this resulted in 550 clickthroughs, of which just one made a purchase, earning a commission of less than $3.

I've only had one positive affiliate experience and that's with a company that pays a recurrent commission. People sign up to their service and pay monthly, and we get an ongoing monthly commission. This currently amounts to over $400 per month, far outweighing anything else we've tried.

Anybody know of any good affiliate schemes that generate recurrent revenue?

Thanks

Aaron
  15. Contributing User

Aaron

One of the keys to successful affiliate marketing is preselling the product. If you have a site on which you are simply displaying banner ads and that is the only means of AM on the site then you are likely to have poor results. In general AM sites are focused specifically in generating sales for affiliates. Most sites have a narrow focus, in fact many affiliate marketers stick by a one domain, one product, one affiliate scheme. You can check out one of my sites at http://www.study-bibles.net to get an idea of what I mean by this.

As far as affiliate programs that generate recurring revenue you may want to check out some of the personal ad sites as some of them do pay recurring commissions.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Affiliate Marketing and Content don't Mix

My experience is that affiliate marketing and content don't mix. It has nothing to do with the number of impressions, but the dynamics of the audience. People coming to game won't notice the ads. Web sites only sell things to people who are actually looking to buy things. Ads on a content site generally get about 1 click for every 100 impressions and 1 sale for every 100 clicks. Even the best affiliate program will probably generate about 3 sales a day for a grand total of maybe $10.00 a day. I would expect rates to continue to fall in the future.

If you are wanting to make money from traffic...you need to find a way to sell impressions. If you have the resources, you can hussle and sells ads directly to companies in the game market. If you have a fiercely loyal community site, you will find people in your community willing to buy blocks of ads. Slashdot and blogger seem to be able to sell ads this way.

The other way is to use a third party companies like Valueclick or Doubleclick.

A simpler way is to create a pominently displayed links page and sell the traffic off the links page...The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to pollute your main site with ads. Just make sure you have plenty of links to your sponsors page.

In someways the whole SEO thing is making selling traffic from a sponsors page easier. Smart companies now prefer static links from popular pages that feed into their site. Limiting the sponsors page to at most 5 links makes the sponsors page even more potent.

A five item sponsors page that has 100,000+ visits a month could probably fetch $5000 for the top position and maybe $2500 for the other 4 positions.

There is a fine line between selling the traffic on a high volume links page and selling page rank. If you have links to your sponsors page from all of your highly trafficked pages, then the sponsors page probably has a high page rank.

Others on this board might have insights on the fine line drawn by google gods.

Back to affiliates.

My experience is that, a successful content site can somethings have a successful store attached.

To do this, I would register a new domain (mydomainstore.com). I like to have a separate domain for the affiliate part of the program since it draws a firm line between the two efforts. The new domain would have either a categorized list of stores, or a categorized list of product reviews.

Sites listing product reviews generally do a lot better than ones that just have links to stores. That is what the previous user called preselling.

If there is a small set of products that your users are intensely interested in...then you are in affiliate heaven. List out the products and find the stores with the best commissions for those products.

If you can find none that please you, start a yahoo store with products and ship them yourself. If you have big traffic you will probably find local business people in your community willing to partner in the store.
  19. Contributing User

yintercept, thanks for these five minutes internet marketing basics lesson.

Next week I'll try to apply to my web site. I supose (after reading your post twice) the plan should be:
    1.- define the sections/niches of my site and the products that could be interesting for my visitors
    2.- search the web for adequate webstores for each product (better if has a recurring payment method)
    3.- open a new section with reviews of each item I offer
    4.- insert some text ads (200x200 i.e.) with a few lines of text ending wit a link (Read more+) to the review page

It's a lot of work but I've around 500 daily visitors and I haven't seen a cent.

Thanks again.

Comments on this post

• PadreMcDonnally agrees : Content is the king and ubiquity is the queen
  21. Contributing User

yintercept - Excellent post. You covered the topic very well. I do wholeheartedly agree that content sites do very poorly with affiliate ads unless as you mentioned they add a "store" to their site.

Regarding content sites, one of the things that still amazes me is how many people are still willing to spend 100's of hours developing, marketing and managing a site to essentially give all of their content away for free. Webmaster info, recipes, how to's, etc are all freely available on the web. These sites can generate large amounts of traffic, but only get in return a miniscule amount of sales. I visited a site the other day that had dozens of pages of mandolin chords. It was obvious that whoever designed the site put a lot of hard work into it, but yet the only source of revenue was some pop up ads.

People are very willing to pay for information and I think in short time you will see many sites start to move to a membership basis or a pay for download type scenario.
  23. Registered User

I get about 2,300 uniques and 7,300 page views a day on one of my sites, which nets me about $400/month. Is that typical, good, bad or indifferent?

I'm experimenting with affiliates at the moment. Fastclick is my best affiliate so far. They pay like clockwork, and you have a choice of banners, invue, or popunder ads, with the ability to stipulate defaults which I do with CJ advertisers.

I also use Updated, which delivers great relevant results for readers and pays per click. However, I've had some issues with getting paid; sometimes they are late.

CJ is reliable, and the SmartZone ads offer flexibility. I just find the search for ads with them time consuming.

Amazon - well, I'm in the process of dumping them, as soon as I make the $100 minimum payout, which should be this quarter. The commission rate of 5% is low, and their recent changes don't impress me.

I have some stuff with DirectResponse, but don't do well with them generally.

Can anyone offer further comments on Burst, Searchfeed, or Shareasale...?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "tonyfelice"

Regarding content sites, one of the things that still amazes me is how many people are still willing to spend 100's of hours developing, marketing and managing a site to essentially give all of their content away for free. Webmaster info, recipes, how to's, etc are all freely available on the web.
    I just see it as incredibly sad that there isn't any way for people who are actually trying to make things of value to receive compensation for their efforts. While trash affiliates sites that do nothing but grub for cash do fine.

People are very willing to pay for information and I think in short time you will see many sites start to move to a membership basis or a pay for download type scenario.
    No, people are not willing to pay for information. Look at the academic press. They have some of the highest quality content...and no buyers. Look at the music industry: The sites that sell subscriptions for music get no takers. They get people hacking the site. The first hacker that guesses the password or that successfully enters a matching zip to a stolen credit card will download the music to the Kazaa server they have secretly running on the local university's bandwidth.

The art and theatre communities have been this way for years. The artists work for free. They wash dishes during the week to eat.

No one is willing to pay for content. I doubt that a full third of Americans would send their children to school if it wasn't free.

If you actually went out and looked at how our society operates, you will see that the people adding the most to the quality of life are doing it on a volunteer basis. It is amazing how much of the stuff that matters is the product of volunteers.

It is just sad that there is no way to match the value of a contribution to the compensation for it.
  27. Contributing User

Who said they get $400 dollars a month for over 2,000 uniques a day? That's quite bad, and I completely disagree with the above people saying you will make more money from selling link space than affiliate banners. With around 5,000 uniques a day I earn $20,000 a month from affiliate programs. That making an average of $0.13 per visitor. If you're failing to make this sort of conversion rate, you've got the wrong advertisers.

IH
  29. Contributing User

yintercept

I would have to disagree with you on some of the points. But rather than argue about it let me put it to you this way. As a web developer I focus on generating revenue. The last thing I am going to do is spend hours and hours working on building a content site only to put that site up for free and hope and pray for a 1% CTR and a 1% conversion ratio. It is a poor business model, but sadly this is the way most people have operated out here. I think it goes back to the whole concept of the internet being this "free exchange of ideas and information", while it may be a nice utopian idea it doesn't pay the bills. Just surf for an hour and look at the 1000's of content sites that have been abandoned. The problem is that people measure success on the web by their counter stats rather than their sales.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: