Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41

    Starting an Affiliate Platform


    Does anyone here run there own affiliate program?


    I've been an affiliate marketer for years and would like to look into running an affiliate platform. Does anyone have experience in this area that can help me out. I can't afford softwares like CAKE but was wondering if I start off with a less expensive software like OSIaffiliate will do the job.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    11
    I would go with a network like share a sale, commission junction, or for digital products something like clickbank. with those networks you really do not need to worry about all the tax forms and payments to affiliates. With that said, if you can not afford the proper software to run a proper affiliate program then you probably should not be starting one.

    al

    Comments on this post

    • GabrielG agrees
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    The ones you mentioned are great if you actually sell products which I don't. I use those networks as an affiliate and unclear how they would help me out with what i'm trying to do. Can you clarify a bit further how CJ, share a sale etc would make me money when I'm not actually selling the products ?

    I'm looking to start a network. OSI affiliates is one i'm considering and about the third of the price ($100/month) compared to the bigger softwares like Cake and HasOffers. If I start off small I'm hoping I can gain experience and maybe graduate to using the more advanced and bigger aff softwares like Cake or HasOffers.
    Last edited by nextoronto; Dec 23rd, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Originally Posted by agmccall
    I would go with a network like share a sale, commission junction, or for digital products something like clickbank. with those networks you really do not need to worry about all the tax forms and payments to affiliates. With that said, if you can not afford the proper software to run a proper affiliate program then you probably should not be starting one.

    al
    Your answer is like someone saying I want to start a hosting company and you suggesting hostgator or bluehost.

    I can't help but point out your answer is very anti-entrepreneurial, unhelpful and negative.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, i am learning affiliate marketing works for the past 1 year. but no success.

    joined in clickbank. putting maximum efforts but nothing happening.

    still now i earned 0$ from clickbank. can anybody give a material to proceed with click bank affiliate program.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    11
    Originally Posted by nextoronto
    Your answer is like someone saying I want to start a hosting company and you suggesting hostgator or bluehost.

    I can't help but point out your answer is very anti-entrepreneurial, unhelpful and negative.
    So then, What is your solution.

    The original poster wants to run a affiliate platform on their own, then says they do not have any products, so that tells me they want to be the person running affiliate programs for other retailers, meaning they want to be the "Commission Junction" or the "Share-A-Sale" But, they do not have the money for the software. Well if you do not have the money for the proper software then you should not be trying to get businesses to put their affiliate program in their hands.

    If you had a retail business and wanted to start a affiliate program would you go with one of the solutions I mentioned or to someone who could not afford the proper software.

    I do not think I was unhelpful or anti-etrepreneurial or negative. I just gave the facts as I saw them

    Al
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    11
    Originally Posted by padhukr
    Well, i am learning affiliate marketing works for the past 1 year. but no success.

    joined in clickbank. putting maximum efforts but nothing happening.

    still now i earned 0$ from clickbank. can anybody give a material to proceed with click bank affiliate program.
    Be a bit more specific. What have you been doing, How have you been driving traffic to the offer. Do you do review sites or just direct link?

    Al
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Originally Posted by agmccall
    So then, What is your solution.

    The original poster wants to run a affiliate platform on their own, then says they do not have any products, so that tells me they want to be the person running affiliate programs for other retailers, meaning they want to be the "Commission Junction" or the "Share-A-Sale" But, they do not have the money for the software. Well if you do not have the money for the proper software then you should not be trying to get businesses to put their affiliate program in their hands.

    If you had a retail business and wanted to start a affiliate program would you go with one of the solutions I mentioned or to someone who could not afford the proper software.

    I do not think I was unhelpful or anti-etrepreneurial or negative. I just gave the facts as I saw them

    Al
    I am the original poster.

    Who says I don't have products ? I wouldn't bother starting one if I didn't have products would I ?

    Who says I had no money to start ? Reality is I can justify $100/month with OSI vs. $295/mth for Hasoffers. You know .. start small.

    From my research OSI affiliate seems sophisticated enough for a company like Macey's to use which should be sufficient for the businesses I'm dealing with. A lot of affiliate companies I've dealt with started using directtrack (which i've considered) and now use services like Linktrust, cake, and hasofferrs. So it is possible to start small and grow Al.

    While I appreciate your attempt you completely missed the facts Al.

    Dan
  16. #9
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    234
    Dan, it's not clear what you want and I think that's why there's this confusion in the thread. Your thread title says you want to start an affiliate program. Then you said you don't sell products, and then said you do have products, so you're not being clear.

    I think you want to start an affiliate network, and perhaps also be a merchant within that network touting your own products? Is that correct? But have room for other merchants to join your network and hawk their wares?

    I tried running my own affiliate program when I sold The Advanced SEO Book. Though I recruited some affiliates, I wasn't able to get them active, so that was somewhat of a dud. That was through e-junkie, and at $5/mo, the software is really inexpensive and functional. Minimum viable product and all that, you know?

    Other than that, perhaps you can just talk to your affiliate managers about brokering the offers you promote to sub-affiliates. Suppose you do SEO, perhaps there are opt-in email marketers in the niche that you can cut a deal with for them to promote your stuff. You'll gain experience fulfilling part of the network/merchant's role - recruiting, paying, monitoring fraud etc - but not have to get your own software, manage and secure it etc. Especially if you've been around for a while, it's likely you've got higher commission tiers so that you could give other affiliates a higher payout than what they could get yet still make money thanks to your higher payout.

    Am I making sense? Answering your initial question? Also, perhaps you can clarify the I do have products/don't have products thing:

    "The ones you mentioned are great if you actually sell products which I don't."
    "Who says I don't have products ? I wouldn't bother starting one if I didn't have products would I ?"
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Gabriel,

    Thanks for your response. My initial question implied that I want to start my own "affiliate platform" and looked at solutions like Cake and OSI affiliate which should clarify what my intent is.

    I can see where the confusion is now. By products I meant merchants. No I don't sell products myself but know a merchant who does. My goal is to setup a platform for his products and other merchants. OSI will likely be the solution of choice and eventually something more sophisticated like cake if its profitable.

    I do like your idea about brokering through established affiliate networks which I've already explored and is something i'd like to do in addition to running the platform for the merchant I know. I do want to gain an understanding of the business which is very important since there are a lot of rules and legal stuff like contracts with merchants that I need to learn about.
  20. #11
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    234
    I see about the platform - I read that too quickly; when your eyes see the first letter and last letter and have an expectation what comes between, you can ignore what comes in between! My bad. However the word program in the post did confirm my mis-read, suggesting you were the merchant.

    Anyways, glad we've got the confusion cleared up. You want to start an affiliate network, really. I'd suggest you speak to some outsourced program managers (OPMs) like Geno Prussakov, Paresh Vadavia etc (google them) as well as your own affiliate managers and get their input. Perhaps you might also find a business partner amongst the OPMs?

    Also, Geno Prussakov's book on affiliate program management will likely be of interest to you, since it talks about all these different things, such as recruiting affiliates, deciding payment and bonus levels, etc etc
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Thanks Gabriel!! I'm going to check out that book as well as those names you mentioned.

    I did speak to my affiliate manager about brokering products as well as reaching out for some help.

    Glad to come across people like you on this forum.
  24. #13
  25. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    234
    Happy to help and keep us posted on your progress - love to hear back every few weeks what's come of this .
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Here's an update. I first checked out OSI affiliate which is a neat piece of software if you're looking to run 1 affiliate program with 1 website which wasn't what I was looking for. I cancelled the account and went with postaffiliatenetwork which seems like a decent software if you want to run a small affiliate network. However service was only chat based and the unbranded solution costs $199/month. I decided that it was probably worth paying the additional $85 per month and go with hasoffers which costs $285/month. Software is so much easier to use. Still some hurdles but it's so nice to be able to speak with someone on the phone. I'm hoping to officially launch in 1 week and I have some pretty amazing offers and can't wait to start promoting it.

    Comments on this post

    • GabrielG agrees
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    41
    Originally Posted by GabrielG
    I see about the platform - I read that too quickly; when your eyes see the first letter and last letter and have an expectation what comes between, you can ignore what comes in between! My bad. However the word program in the post did confirm my mis-read, suggesting you were the merchant.

    Anyways, glad we've got the confusion cleared up. You want to start an affiliate network, really. I'd suggest you speak to some outsourced program managers (OPMs) like Geno Prussakov, Paresh Vadavia etc (google them) as well as your own affiliate managers and get their input. Perhaps you might also find a business partner amongst the OPMs?

    Also, Geno Prussakov's book on affiliate program management will likely be of interest to you, since it talks about all these different things, such as recruiting affiliates, deciding payment and bonus levels, etc etc
    Hi Gabriel,

    Geno Prussakov wrote the book called Affiliate Program Management that I will be checking out. Thanks for the tip!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Starting a New Affiliate Program
    By TBP Levi in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
  2. Starting an Affiliate Program?
    By fathom in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
  3. new site starting affiliate program
    By frankybme in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM
  4. Starting your own affiliate program
    By Sam I Am in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 4th, 2004, 07:50 PM
  5. Starting an affiliate website?
    By critter in forum Affiliate Marketing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo