1. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

ODP / Google directory listed vs. affiliate sites

The Open Directory Project does not admit affiliate sites and the Google Directory is built using ODP information. I am wondering if ODP/Google Directory listing gives a site a major advantage in the Google SERPs?

I have seen a number of SERPs where the top positions are held by brand name manufacturers who have very nice sites and OPD / Google Directory listings. However, beneath them are affiliate sites which in my opinion have better optimization and superior PR.

Can anyone share experience on what it takes to attain #1 in these situations?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Tripper
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think the google directory is important to serps for sure, and I think the description holds real value in its keywords. Think of it, it is one of the few ways that google can actually get a 'most of the times' good description of a sites content without leaving it open to optimizers, spammers etc. So, the way things are going, I think it will hold more and more value in the future.

Might also just be wishful thinking after moving to a top level cat ;) But I will keep you posted on what I see it doing to serps; after the update last week, it definitely seems to have boosted all keywords. But it also might mean we were upgraded one pr point which of course i won't be able to see untill in 2/3 weeks time.

Why not build a site with lots of content in other areas and add optimized areas in that site with affiliate content. No probs with that in dmoz.