1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Merchant Data Feeds Questions

I am so use to doing everything by page by page ... so I want to try something different.
    What is the best software to handle mechant data feeds for mayself as an affiliate. I have heard of Webmerge and SMG. Is there others that work well and free or a resonable cost.
    I suppose too it is possible using these types of programs could cause a duplicate penalty in the SE's.
    I would like to hear of any experiences/solutions of handling these data feeds.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Merchant Feeds

I forgot to add is it worth doing it by hand compared to using these scripts/programs?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by reapr
    I forgot to add is it worth doing it by hand compared to using these scripts/programs?
    You can usually tune "by hand" pages better over time and make them fit trends you see in your visitors. You can emulate some of this in automated means though too.

Automation is great (once the script is written or obtained) as you can throw hundreds or thousands of pages out there quickly. You can also update things more readily (i.e. if 100 new products come about...you just need a new datafeed file).

The down side of automation is if you do not make your own script or customize others' scripts quite a bit, you can fall victim to the "cookie cutter" look and/or duplicate content penalties.

Comments on this post

• dazzlindonna agrees : Very true.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I agree, StephenBauer. Google, especially, is turning its attention to cookie cutter / duplicate content pages and is strongly trying to get rid of them. However, if you add value to each page, rather than simply having the exact content as a million other people, then you are better off.

Comments on this post

• scottfish agrees : Back to SEO101: content...good points..
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    I agree, StephenBauer. Google, especially, is turning its attention to cookie cutter / duplicate content pages and is strongly trying to get rid of them. However, if you add value to each page, rather than simply having the exact content as a million other people, then you are better off.
    Absolutely, if you can add more value to the content, all the better. It is a bit easier on the "niche" level than all across the board (if you want to keep things automated). I am running into that now with my big site.